Lighting System Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dugongberbulu

Contributor
Reaction score
All,

I have a Sony HC1000, in an Amphibico Invader Housing (new one with Manual WB capability), and the 120 degree WA lense.

Just got back from a lovely week in Manado (Bunaken) shooting some nice dives: dolphins, lots of tutles, whitetips, mobula, and a bunch of wonderful small stuff, but I realize that without a lighting system, I'm limited for macro as well as night dives (obvious), which is something I would like to remedy.

The Lighting Systems made by Amphibico are very expensive!!! And, I've never heard of anyone actually using them (couldn't find anything with a search here anyway). Does anyone has such experience? And if so, I would greatly appreciate any comments you might have.

Otherwise, I would also appreciate input from the experts on possible solutions, and set-ups. From experience what are the Pro's & Con's of on-housing set-ups vs. canisters attached to BC?

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers

Dugongberbulu:
All,

I have a Sony HC1000, in an Amphibico Invader Housing (new one with Manual WB capability), and the 120 degree WA lense.

Just got back from a lovely week in Manado (Bunaken) shooting some nice dives: dolphins, lots of tutles, whitetips, mobula, and a bunch of wonderful small stuff, but I realize that without a lighting system, I'm limited for macro as well as night dives (obvious), which is something I would like to remedy.

The Lighting Systems made by Amphibico are very expensive!!! And, I've never heard of anyone actually using them (couldn't find anything with a search here anyway). Does anyone has such experience? And if so, I would greatly appreciate any comments you might have.

Otherwise, I would also appreciate input from the experts on possible solutions, and set-ups. From experience what are the Pro's & Con's of on-housing set-ups vs. canisters attached to BC?

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers

Congratulations, you have a good camcorder and housing.

I am definitely not an expert. I'm just an amateur hobbyist voicing my opinions.

The 3 main types of video lighting I've seen discussed are: halogen, HID and flourescent. If you research, you will find all kinds of technical scientific arguments about why such and such light is the best and so and so light is bad, etc.. Some of the discussions got pretty heated and many threads on other underwater video boards have been totally deleted.

Funny thing is, that when people started posting their videos on the net I saw good video footage with all 3 types of lights.

With your camcorder and housing, I think you will also find that all 3 of the lighting types will produce good video footage.

On housing batteries vs. canister is a good debate. Having a matching lighting system by your housing mfr. nicely integrated into the housing is a nice convenience. But you will pay a lot for that convenience.

I only use lights for night dives and I am just starting to explore macro work, so for me, the cost of an on housing lighting system is not worth it. I am happy using my cheap halogen video light and wear the battery canister on my waist belt. My lights have a wet connector which is very convenient.

Ron,

First, many of us have seen your work, and for an "amateur hobbiest", its really good.

Thanks for your input.

Actually, just swung by the place here in Singapore that sold me the housing and starting talking with them about the different options, and basically, here is what we said:

1) Agreed, on-housing is for pro's and people who can afford it. Neither or which is me today.

2) He basically said the same as you on types and other, so we're there too.

3) One option I'm liking is to use a light from Brightstar (HID) which is self contained (no on-housing or canisters), just a rechargeable battery pack in the light itself. I'm going to demo on an upcoming night dive and see.

Hey: got an new vids to post?

Thanks again!

Dugongberbulu:
Ron,

3) One option I'm liking is to use a light from Brightstar (HID) which is self contained (no on-housing or canisters), just a rechargeable battery pack in the light itself. I'm going to demo on an upcoming night dive and see.

Hey: got an new vids to post?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind words. I'd be interested to see or hear about your experiences with the brightstar.

No, I haven't made a video this year. I usually only make a video after a dive trip. In March I dove Costa Rica, but the viz was very poor. In Sept. I was in Cozumel, but since this was my 4th time there I didn't bother to bring my camcorder.

I should something for you on the Brightstar soon, just got to find another weekend to go diving before we head off for Yap for New Years.

Just saw you're in NYC... where I'm from. God what I would do for a halfway decent deli! They have concept of that here (Singapore) and its just one of those things you really miss.

Cheer!

Dugongberbulu:
I should something for you on the Brightstar soon, just got to find another weekend to go diving before we head off for Yap for New Years.

Just saw you're in NYC... where I'm from. God what I would do for a halfway decent deli! They have concept of that here (Singapore) and its just one of those things you really miss.

Cheer!

Ha! Cry me a river.....:)

And when you come to Yap bring some CHEESE :07: mr halfway decent deli...all we get is processed singles in the plastic wrap....yuck! :11:

Mike: stop complaining, you have Mantas all year, we have chicken-rice:11:

Cheese: what would Monsieur like? perhaps a nice Gouda? :wink:

Seriously thought: if you need me to bring anything for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

... its gonna cost you though:14:

Canisters on a BC are good for minimizing the bulk and weight of your housing but the cables can inhibit your maneouverability underwater and this setup is a major pain in the *** when kitting up because you've got to get the light heads connected to the light arms on the housing after you've kitted up and unless you have wet connectors you've got light heads swinging around in the meantime. You cannot pass your housing up to the boat without disconnecting again. Not a huge issue but it's one more thing to contend with.

I prefer to keep the housing and lights as one unit, and my lightweight and compact L&M sunray lights let me do this (but on the downside they are very expensive and unreliable and still require floats to compensate the buoyancy).

The battery pack of the standard Amphibico lighting system however is a really big lump and normally requires floats to offset its weight. The halogen Amphibico lamps have the advantage that they take standard dichroic halogen lamps, but one disadvantage is that they don't have any low settings (which the L&M do). Most of my night dive footage I shoot with my Sunray lamps on the dimmest setting and this season I'm going to try black stockings over them to make them even dimmer. With a VX2000 a dimmer setting allows more shots to be taken on auto exposure without washed out highlights, and the fish are less likely to be scared off or blinded.

I can't imagine how anyone can effectively shoot macro at night time with HID lights.

Nick,

Thanks for your input.

HID vs. Halogen at night for macro: I see how that could be an issue. Could you not use a thicker (ie stronger) diffuser to "soften" the light? However, I do see the issue with getting that subject on black effect.

BTW: bought a copy of your vid from Matt Patridge when I was diving with him earlier this year. Its awesome!!!:11:

Cheers

Well yes, HID can be dimmed just by chucking filters in front. Not a bad idea at all. Because my L&M lights have different levels, at night I generally use the medium level when I'm in "search mode", and switch down to the lowest level when I home in for some macro shots. Adding and replacing filters is obviously not as easy as a switch.

Dugongberbulu:
BTW: bought a copy of your vid from Matt Patridge when I was diving with him earlier this year. Its awesome!!!:11:
Thanks very much! Since then I've released version 1.3 of my Reef Life of the Andaman DVD out with the best of last season's footage including whale shark, humphead parrotfish, giant anglerfish and generally improved shots. Check out some free video clips from it.

So how were Protech? Were you doing some tech training?

Nick

Back
Top Bottom