lights 4 u/w photo 4 wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

what is the best straobes or lights u can recommend 4 taking u/w potoshots inside and outside a wreck.

thx in advance

Wrecks tend to be big, and far away wide angle type shots - strobes won't reach that. If you are taking close ups of bits and pieces then it's different. It depends a bit on your camera and housing which strobes work out best for you. For instance, if you use an Ikelite housing then I believe only Ikelite strobes can be used coupled to a camera's hot shoe for eTTL. If you have a camera that fires a preflash then Inon uses a system that optically synchs the strobe with the camera. Sea&Sea also make popular strobes, but again....often for use with their housings. Ther ARE ways around it sometimes but it's not always straightforward.

What equipment do you intend to use it with?

Not a great photo, but perhaps you can use this to benchmark other strobes.
Taken with 2 x Sea & Sea YS 90 Auto's .

You can compare different strobes here - Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

288563766_1439acb9db.jpg

I also use a set of dual DS-125s. What is important for me with strobes is the angle of coverage and recycle time. With the twin DS-125s, I can pretty well get complete coverage across my frame while using my 10.5mm fisheye.

I would suggest that equally as important in this equation is a decent wide angle lens. The big advantage is being to get really close to your subject, and as others have mentioned, strobe effectiveness isn't really that far (maybe around 6-8 ft), and if the lens you use allows you to get close, the better the lighting is going to be in the foreground of your shot.

Here is a shot of a wreck in Kingston (near where I live) shot with the 10.5mm using twin DS-125s. I was about 5 feet off the bow of the wreck.

dis-ktown-aug2007-10.jpg

Ditto Warren on the WA lens - the pic I posted was taken with one.

Thx all,

I use Oly Sp350 with Ike's housing. I prefer wide angle shooting rather than macro. lots of well expereincd u/w photographers says that there r no strobes or lights in the current mkt for any u/w wide angle shots.

Ditto Warren on the WA lens - the pic I posted was taken with one.

Andy T is the athena dome good for wide angle. i use the normal Epoque WA and the pictures tend to less sharp than if i am not using it.

What's the weblink on the athena dome.

thanks.

still deciding either i use dual ds125 or dual ds200. can anybody tell me the big difference between ds200 as compared to ds 125 apart from the wieght and price? i do know the ds200 gives more light but by how mcuh percetange more to ds 125? 10% , 50% perhaps more...?

still deciding either i use dual ds125 or dual ds200. can anybody tell me the big difference between ds200 as compared to ds 125 apart from the wieght and price? i do know the ds200 gives more light but by how mcuh percetange more to ds 125? 10% , 50% perhaps more...?

I don't know if you'd really need the extra power of the DS-200. If it were me, I'd go with the DS-125s. I've rarely had to go more than 1/2 power on my DS-125s. They weigh over a pound less compared to the DS-200s, have a faster recycle time with same angle of coverage. They also retail for $300 less per strobe. I've also heard quite a few flooding stories about the Ds-200 as well.

That's what I'd do, but that's just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom