L'il Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from PDC on Saturday. We arrived just as the monsoons were ending, so I was able to get 3 days of ocean diving in with Tank Ha.

The first day it was just me and Roman, my guide, and Jack, another Tank Ha employee. We dove Tortugas in a moderate current, saw some great turtles along with the bonus school of tarpon at the end. Second dive was Sabalos, where Roman and I squeezed through a tight swim-thru, forcing the resident 'cuda to flee.

Day two was Punta Venado and Barracuda. We were joined by a 4-pack of photo and videographers. Both reefs were as beautiful as I've ever seen them.

I got in a third day somewhere North of PDC before taking a couple days off, then hooked up with Dennis Weeks for some cenote diving.

Dennis and I dove The Pit, which was my second time there, but this time we dove it a little deeper and darker. We descended through the halocline around 80 feet, and through the hydrogen sulfite layer around 100 or so. We bottomed out near the entrance to the Cardea Passage, turned a corner and Dennis pointed out some human bones. We then slowly ascended through a well-defined cloudy sulfide layer, enjoying the sunlight creating an azure shaft in the water. We also stopped at 45 feet to check out the decompression bell that was installed for cave diving.

Second dive was Pet Cemetary. This was my first time there, and I found it similar to Dreamgate, with rubble cones at your left elbow and delicate formations to your right. I was a very shallow dive, but there were some really nice decorations, and lots of sugar mounds. (And the animal bones that give it it's name). It was a nice slow dive, and Dennis spent some time reworking some of the tie-off's. The grounds are very nice for a cenote, with raked, sanded paths and a first-class running-water toilet. We were the only divers there. And it's only about 300 yards further down the road from the Pit, so it was a quick commute to the second dive.

Definitely a fun trip. Roman Graf is a great divemaster and guide, and a nice guy too.
Dennis delivered the goods as usual, including delivering my computer that I left in his back seat. (Thanks again Dennis!)

Accommodations were primo - 3BR condo at Luna Encantada, on the beach between Calle 4 & 6.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom