Limited mobility - Ok to route SPG over left shoulder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yellowdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had rotator cuff surgery recently and I am thinking about routing my SPG over my left shoulder, on a 22" hp Miflex hose, to my left chest d ring. Up to now I clipped it to my left waist d ring, DIR style, 2" brass gauge on a 26" hp hose, but due to my limited mobility I will have to relocate the SPG for several months. The two options I am considering are over the left shoulder with a 22" hose or under the left arm to the right or left chest d ring with a 30"+- hp hose. I believe both routes will make monitoring my SPG easier on my shoulder. I have an AI Oceanic OCi computer with transmitter, so the SPG is really a back up in my current gear arrangement. The transmitter is located on a 6" hp hose on the right side of the first stage. I put my gear together dry and everything seems to make sense when I route over the left. The SPG hangs just below my inflator and as far as I can tell does not interfere with inflator use. Ok to route this way or am I missing something?.

I had rotator cuff surgery recently and I am thinking about routing my SPG over my left shoulder, on a 22" hp Miflex hose, to my left chest d ring. Up to now I clipped it to my left waist d ring, DIR style, 2" brass gauge on a 26" hp hose, but due to my limited mobility I will have to relocate the SPG for several months. The two options I am considering are over the left shoulder with a 22" hose or under the left arm to the right or left chest d ring with a 30"+- hp hose. I believe both routes will make monitoring my SPG easier on my shoulder. I have an AI Oceanic OCi computer with transmitter, so the SPG is really a back up in my current gear arrangement. The transmitter is located on a 6" hp hose on the right side of the first stage. I put my gear together dry and everything seems to make sense when I route over the left. The SPG hangs just below my inflator and as far as I can tell does not interfere with inflator use. Ok to route this way or am I missing something?.

First of all you can run any hose anyway you want as long as it works for you. for me I would run it under left arm and to a chest dring on the left side. I avoid crossing paths from right to left or left to right so that when I need to remove the rig I do not have to remember that this hose is holding the rig on my back. If it is only for a couple of months rather than buy a new hose I would take your 22 inch length and have it follow the inflator down and in fact you can attach it to the inflator so that you can locate it easily

just my opinion and what I would do you do what works for you
Herb

I tried this last week in Bahamas and it really worked well for me.

I do it sometimes.. with an Air 2 and a triple gauge console it is a little messy, but it works.

I have taken to clipping it to the left chest dring before the dive as it makes donning the harness easier. I usually then switch it when in the water. I left it on the chest dring during today's dive and liked it alot. Probably won't leave it there all the time but I will switch it up as conditions permit.

I know a cave and technical diving instructor who runs his spg over his left shoulder and then connects it to the inflator hose for his dry suit on his chest. If he wants to know his remaining gas supply, he just glances down at it.

Dive any damned way you are comfortable.
Happy.
Confident.
Safe.

Chug
Not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom