Limiting divers on Inch 1 and Inch 2 - A Rant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Summer is fast approaching and the water is warming up (slightly) which is bringing more divers to the east coast to dive which is good news for all of the operators.

The increase is always notable on certain popular dive sites such as Inchcape 1 and Inchcape 2 which are small wrecks no more than 20M in length. This size of dive site can become very crowded when there is more than 10 divers milling around, in particular when most of them have no idea of buoyancy control, swim vertically and disturb the bottom substrate so much that the limited visibility drops dramatically. Additionally I have witnessed more divers standing on the wrecks damaging the marine life.

I am not sure what can be done to police this, I personally hate having restrictions but diving these two wrecks is just not much fun when there appears to be more divers than fish. :shakehead:

Last Friday I was on the first boat to dive Inchcape 1 and around 10 minutes into the dive it became really crazy, lots of idiots disturbing the whole area as per my description above. When I surfaced there were FIVE boats on the mooring.

Rare animals like the seahorse and frogfish are going to be gone with all this overcrowding and it is difficult to photograph small critters when being continually hit by other divers fins who have absolutely zero awareness of their surroundings.

Would it be possible I wonder here in UAE to have the dive operators schedule their dives on these wrecks limiting the number of divers at any one time on these two wrecks? :confused:

Quite frankly I doubt it, but some action is needed.

Inchcape 1 is at 30M, so dive time is limited 30 mins max on EAN32

Inchape 2 is at 20M, I usually spend a good hour on this wreck using EAN36, but it is very popular with OW divers due to its shallow depth and becomes crazy at weekends, even during the colder months.

Perhaps the only time to dive these wrecks is not at the weekend :confused:

Perhaps other UAE divers can chip in here to discuss a way to manage these wrecks and perhaps involve the EDA.

Gordon,

I agree - its getting like a circus down there where the predominant act is clowns. I've seen some horrendous diving practices incluing lying/standing on guardrails, vertical divers kicking crap everywhere, hawkfish being squashed, Nudis going flying, morays being hassled. I've even seen divers on Inch 2 with spearguns.

To be honest I'm starting to prefer diving on the areas between sites where you are pretty much guaranteed there will be almost no divers. Finding lots of cool stuff amongst the rocks and rubble, especially around the cauliflower corals. Would be nice if we could have a moratorium on the wrecks for a few months to let them recover - but I doubt it will happen as for some operators cash is king and they don't care about the damage. If they did they would control their divers in a more pro-active way.

I also suspect a number of operators are taking OW divers there who are basically diving beyond their limits, this is evident in some of the bouyancy issues that we are witnessing.
BTW DD are running a trip to Inch 10 on the 15th June if you are interested, will need to let them know as it normally fills up fast.

It is common off of NC to pillage the wrecks. This drives me crazy. I saw a ships bell harvested off a Hatteras wreck yesterday.

Reggie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nothing really to pillage on these wrecks Reggie, they were deliberately sunk as dive sites and are havens for small critters.

Unfortunately there are some new operators in the area and the quality of divers is decreasing IMHO

Stewart,

Karin did not mention the Inch 10 trip, I will be back from a long business trip by then so I am up for that.

I have a friend over from the UK and we are planning to dive next Thursday at Scuba 2000 ... the boat is all ours, Dragan is also thinking of joining us, so feel free to join, it will be Inch 1 or 2 then CC .... which reminds me I need to call Maribel to make sure I get the right mixes in my doubles.

The exact reasons I avoid those sites.

Too many crap divers, no DM's monitoring their customers etc.

Dive centres collaborating? Can't see it, they want to pull in the money they can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom