Line Change at Little River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Once again someone has made a unilateral decision to change the line configuration in one of our popular caves.
102.gif
Consensus has been to not change line configurations without the broader cave diving community being informed of what configuration changes are being considered and then leaving it open for discussion before changes are made.

While I may seem to be preaching to the choir here it should be realized that lots of thought has gone into how lines are configured to balance out safety and convenience. The Little River line configuration seemed just fine to me and most everyone else, apparently except for one person.

What we will see now is a team go back in Little River and re-establish the agreed upon line configuration.

The North Florida Springs Alliance line committee has agreed to be stewards of that line because LR is a state owned property administered by Suwanee County.

If you know who cut the line back (or if *you* did it) please ask them to justify that decision to the cave diving community. The cave diving community as a whole has done a pretty good job of assisting line committees maintaining properly configured lines in the caves here in North Florida.
eusa_clap.gif

A few years ago several of us added new distance markers to LR and within a few weeks most had been removed. The person who removed the markers informed us that the markers were removed because cave divers should not need distance markers and that they detracted from the dive having to see them.

Jim
NSS-CDS Safety Officer
NFSA Line Committee Chair

Once again someone has made a unilateral decision to change the line configuration in one of our popular caves.
102.gif
Consensus has been to not change line configurations without the broader cave diving community being informed of what configuration changes are being considered and then leaving it open for discussion before changes are made.

While I may seem to be preaching to the choir here it should be realized that lots of thought has gone into how lines are configured to balance out safety and convenience. The Little River line configuration seemed just fine to me and most everyone else, apparently except for one person.

What we will see now is a team go back in Little River and re-establish the agreed upon line configuration.

The North Florida Springs Alliance line committee has agreed to be stewards of that line because LR is a state owned property administered by Suwanee County.

If you know who cut the line back (or if *you* did it) please ask them to justify that decision to the cave diving community. The cave diving community as a whole has done a pretty good job of assisting line committees maintaining properly configured lines in the caves here in North Florida.
eusa_clap.gif

A few years ago several of us added new distance markers to LR and within a few weeks most had been removed. The person who removed the markers informed us that the markers were removed because cave divers should not need distance markers and that they detracted from the dive having to see them.

Jim
NSS-CDS Safety Officer
NFSA Line Committee Chair
No justification for it. All lines should lead to open water, imo. I would encourage you guys to extend it to the rebar, or the cove just to the left inside the cave.

. All lines should lead to open water, imo. I would encourage you guys to extend it to the rebar, or the cove just to the left inside the cave.

I agree 100%. Getting all the cave gods to agree is tantamount to herding cats....

Reactions: Jax
No justification for it. All lines should lead to open water, imo. I would encourage you guys to extend it to the rebar, or the cove just to the left inside the cave.

The cave diver is responsible for making sure they have a line to OW, correct?

yes, of course. But if that is as far as you think about it we need no lines in the caves at all.

I think that's a separate topic. If it's not there, they are responsible, however I don't see a good reason to not put it there.

I can see where there might be concern if the gold line ran all the way to the rebar that an OW diver may follow it in the cave, and LR had a stellar reputation as an OW diver killer back in the day.

But let's be real, OW divers so inclined to be that stupid will currently follow the line from its current location at the bottom of the cavern given that it is pretty much a direct shot from the opening. (I suspect that may have been the reasoning of the recent line mover, although he/she obviously lost sight of the bigger picture and the impact on multiple primary lines running all the way to the chimney, past at least 2 jumps to get there and creating an interesting mess for divers using scooters trying to negotiate the resulting tangle on a busy day at LR.)

In that regard, I agree it makes sense to just run it to the rebar and avoid the line spagetti that occurs when traffic is heavy and/or when line running skills are subpar in one or more of the teams.

yes, of course. But if that is as far as you think about it we need no lines in the caves at all.

Not what I stated.

I don't agree with one person choosing how a line is run in a cave. (we know where that leads, which is what happened this time)

Jim, just wondering, who is on the NFSA line committee and how does one go about participating?

Not what I stated.

I don't agree with one person choosing how a line is run in a cave. (we know where that leads, which is what happened this time)

Jim, just wondering, who is on the NFSA line committee and how does one go about participating?

You can read the line committee stuff at This Link. We are always looking for like minded individuals to help with not only the line committee but the North Florida Springs Alliance in general.

Contact me off board if you'd like to help, line committee or otherwise. You'd be a great addition!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom