Line/mesh cutters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a line cutter for those 'tangled in fishing line' type emergencies. It isn't a very likely scenario in this part of the world, but I'd rather have a cutter and never use it than have a problem and not be able to deal with it.

I don't carry a knife, and don't want to, because I often cart my gear around by public transport. Although my PADI manual insists that a dive knife is not a weapon, I don't think anyone else is going to see it that way. So, the choices are a line cutter or snips, and a cutter would be more convenient b/c I can keep it in a pocket. I'm taking about this kind of thing:

Fancy ScubaPro line cutter
Less fancy Cressi line cutter

Anyone has any experience with this kind of thing? Comments, opinions, advice, etc?

Zept

the one I chose is made by (at least made for) OMS. Looks much less like a weapon than either of those and has a replaceable razor blade cutter. Got mine from leisurepro.com

Tom

Zept, I don't know who makes them, but there are U/W scissors in a little pouch for just this kind of thing...I have them for monofilament and kelp, and I think they are much easier to use than a knife. The only thing is that the pivot screw that holds the blades together does eventually rust out, but mine went through many dives before I had to replace them.

They're called Sea Snips, and are just EMS shears with a cloth holster.

I really wish I knew how to replace the rivet, it'd make me much more willing to carry them around.

The Z-cutters would be nice when the line is hard to see, however.

jeff

...for all the suggestions. I've seen the snips, but they wouldn't go in my stupidly small pockets (grr!). I'm trying to avoid stuff that straps on or dangles, b/c it's just too much hassle.

Zept

Zept once bubbled...
...for all the suggestions. I've seen the snips, but they wouldn't go in my stupidly small pockets (grr!). I'm trying to avoid stuff that straps on or dangles, b/c it's just too much hassle.

Zept

You might want to try these mini-shears. They are a bit smaller than normal sized Shears. As long as you aren't diving with gloves they should be okay.

http://home.ec.rr.com/tholt/shears.html#minishears

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom