Line Pulls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rspdiver

Registered
Reaction score
This question has probably already been asked, but I'm new to the Scubaboard so I'll ask again...

Are there "standardized" line pull signals from diver to tender and tender to diver? (standardized meaning one way public safety divers across the country should be taught)...

here's the problem: If one school teaches one way and another school teaches different line pulls coupled with each dive team having their own line pull signals...well thats a problem on joint operations with different teams...

Just curious....any input would be greatly appreciated!

rspdiver

I just looked for a prior thread but didn't find it.

We use OATHS

..........Pull...........Tender to Diver..........Diver to Tender
O..........1.....................OK?........................OK!
A..........2..................Advance.................Advance
T..........3..............Take Up Slack...........Take Up Slack
H..........4.................Come Here...............Here it is
S..........5.................Surface..................Send help

Anything more than 5 is get my butt out of here now.

Gary D.

We use a four signal system...
Pulls...........Tender to Diver..........Diver to Tender
1.....................OK?........................OK!
2........stop, change direction........give slack
3................Surface.....................I found it!
4.........Danger stay on bottom........Send help

OATHS is a very standard line pull system for many services including High angle rescue and fire service. That 4 pull sounds a little confusing to me.

Wildcard:
OATHS is a very standard line pull system for many services including High angle rescue and fire service. That 4 pull sounds a little confusing to me.
After using it for 28 years I have found it the easiest ever. For a starter it was what we had to take when we got hired.

Gary D.

Okay, our line pull signals are close to OATHS...I appreciate the feedback...

To WILDCARD...Greetings Brother (Solo Optimi - HDS B-8-00)

out.

Thats what we use in miami. The proplem is when the tender who is not a diver ( this happens some time when their is a lack of personel on scene) does not know what is going on . Every personnel in our fire service knows the OATHS system just some people forget (non divers) or get confuse. I had that problem on a drill my partner and I had to surface about 5 times because the tender did not keep the line tight. after a while my ears felt like a RICE CRISPY--- popping and popping.
Alex T.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom