Lines on their faces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocoajoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have noticed that on the cable shows Deep Sea Detectives and Quest for Sunken Warships Chatterton, Kolher, etc have lines (outlines of their mask) after their dive(s).

I've been taught not to tighten mask too tightly so I don't think that's the reason. I'm guessing it's because of 200' dives?

Well sort of . . .

They would be equalizing the pressure in their mask by breathing out through their noses a little bit. So its not really a function of the increased pressure.

More to the point, its because diving to 200ft means a long dive as a result of the deco obligation they will incur. This means that the mask is on your face for a long time. Similar to sleeping face down for an hour or two on a wrinkled blanket, when you wake up you have a blanket impression on your face. Doesn't mean the mask is too tight though, just like the blanket wasn't that tight on your face.

yeah, i have mask face for quite a while after a dive, and my mask isn't too tight.

Duration of a dive is certainly a factor in "mask face," but failure to equalize your mask is certainly as big a factor if not a bigger one. Equalizing your mask is an intentional act that not everyone knows to do, cares to do, or remembers to do.
DivemasterDennis

Duration of a dive is certainly a factor in "mask face," but failure to equalize your mask is certainly as big a factor if not a bigger one. Equalizing your mask is an intentional act that not everyone knows to do, cares to do, or remembers to do.
DivemasterDennis

Agreed, but Chatterton and Kolher?

I get mask 'indents' on my face and I equalize regularly. Maybe I prefer my mask a little tighter than some, but I feel comfortable the entire time. Maybe it's caused by having hour-long dives. Either way, the only problem I see with it is I look kind of weird walking in public after a dive day. It goes away after an hour or so.

I'm going to assume (without seeing a picture) It's from the Kirby Morgan M48 Mask. The mask skirt isn't soft silicone like a regular mask, it's harder more like rubber.

Whenever John dives that mask, he gets mask marks, and they last for a few hours even. It doesn't happen with regular masks.

Oddly enough I have a KM-48 and I get mask marks with it when I use it on really cold water dives. But I also get mask marks with my other soft silicone skirted and frameless masks as well on 2 to 3 hour long dives.

At the other extreme, I never got mask marks with my EXO-26 on commercial dives and it has a comparatively hard skirt - but it has a lot of skirt area and as a true FFM, equalization occurs on every breathe so equalization could be part of it - but then again I wore the straps tighter because of the positive pressure aspects of the mask,so it's probably a wash

In my opinion, "mask face" is just the nature of the beast for a long technical dive. Equalizing the mask is not really the major issue, at least in my case, but I do tend to wear my masks comparatively tight to ensure they stay put in high flow caves, when having on a line in current and on scooter dives. I could probably avoid "mask face" by going very light on the strap, but then it would tend to dislodge when looking sideways in high flow, strong current or when scootering, and personally, I'd rather have mask face than have my mask periodically unseat and leak or flood. I can't see my mask face anyway, so it's someone else's problem if they are worried about it. :D

What I do find objectionable on a 2 or 3 hour long dive is having the strap too high on the back of my head. When that happens, after a couple hours the pressure under my nose starts to hurt, and once it starts it pretty much lasts the rest of the dive even if the strap is readjusted, so I take great care to position the strap low on my head when gearing up.

In short, I would not worry about "mask face" as a sign of improper mask strap tension, but rather focus on using just enough strap tension to get the job done. If you don't scooter, hang on a deco line in current, or swim in high flow caves, you can probably get by with a bit looser fit. But if you need a snugger fit, by all means do so.

I'm going to assume (without seeing a picture) It's from the Kirby Morgan M48 Mask. The mask skirt isn't soft silicone like a regular mask, it's harder more like rubber.

Whenever John dives that mask, he gets mask marks, and they last for a few hours even. It doesn't happen with regular masks.

Kolher had em too.
Wow, can't believe you've never seen Deep Sea Dive Detectives. Mostly it was Chatterton and Kolher diving but a few were Chatterton and some chick (his wife?) It premiered on The History Channel a year or 2 ago and I believe it's on Discovery now.....same episodes, nothing new. Military History Channel has Quest For Sunken Warships Dan Crowell has something to do with the show but you never see him diving.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom