Lionfish at cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
On a recent trip, May 29 to June 8th, We found and photographed a Lionfish on San Francisco reef. It was about four to five inches long. Cristina, Scuba Diving in Cozumel with Cristina. tried unsuccessfully to net the fish. according to the park guards who dove with us the following day, it was only the 13th report of lionfish on Cozumel. We weren't able to locate the fish again. As usual, LaCuda and I had a grreat time.:D

Woot! We are going to do some hard core diving and I hope to spot one. Its now a mission seeing as how this is my absolute fav fish!

I was one of the first to find and photograph a lionfish in Coz. While the park has only listed 13 documented reports, the number is much higher by now.

If you're looking for them here are two hints that'll help.

1- Since they have substancial "windage" they tend to prefer sheltered areas in the lee of the current. Look for them in the same types of quiet recesses where you'd expect to find cardinalfish, or juvenile drums.

2- Don't only look for the classic bright red/black striped adults. There are lots of Juveniles in the 2-4 inch range and these are much paler in color from almost translucent to a pale faintly striped lavender.

For your reference, here's a photo of the juvenile I found back in April. The body is about 2-3" long, and he was vertical. What I first saw and why I stopped wasn't a lionfish, but what looked like a tube anemone growing out of the wall. It was the wrong thing for the location, so I stopped and took a closer look, turned out my tube anemone was the guy in the photo below. As I was marking the site, a divemaster from another group came by and captured it.

Happy hunting, keep your eyes open for anything out of place, but remember that the Marine Park "No touch, No take" rule applies to lionfish as well, so if you see one alert your divemaster, who'll take it from there.

Attachments

• Lionfish.jpg
    Lionfish.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Just to add to what don Francisco said, lionfish will often be found under any type of overhang whether it's rock, coral or wreck. They will also swim with their bellies towards any surface they are swimming along so it's not unusual to see them vertical up or down and even inverted. They just cruise slowly and won't mind you taking a close look, 4-6 feet, as long as you don't appear threatening - move slowly! If they get defensive they'll move slowly towards you and point their barbs forward - that's your cue to back off! If you keep your distance you can watch them feed, and they're always feeding, and it's quite an interesting display. They often will spread their fins wide and "herd" the smaller fish into a corner then lunge and swallow them whole. Bring your camera....good luck on your mission.

Last edited:
16 days and counting until I can get deployed for this mission..WOOT!
:D

Going to show the kids this so they can be aware about the forward barb thing..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom