Lionfish Awareness and Elimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annieols

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone,
Just a quick pat on my own back here :D

My PADI Distinctive Outline for a Lionfish Awareness and Elimination Specialty course was just approved this week, and will start running in a couple of days! I put a lot of hard work into it, and am very proud of the outcome! For the moment it is the only course of its kind here on Bonaire, and I cant wait to start teaching and eliminating lionfish!

:acclaim:

Thats pretty cool it is made into a course. Those things are a bad deal for the reefs here in Florida

A course on catching and killing fish. Great. Just what we need.

A course on catching and killing fish. Great. Just what we need.

Actually, a course on controlling an invasive specie with no natural predator, in order to preserve native reef life.

Highdesert - Very well stated! Talked to Lad from the REEF organization at the DEMA show last
month and he said the latest studies show that once the lionfish reach a breeding population on
a particular reef, it only takes about 5 weeks for them to reduce the total fish life on that reef
by 85%. They consume juvenile everything and nothing eats them.

How are they controlled in their original habitat?

They aren't, they're just a part of the ecology. People are actually thrilled to see them. They are after all, an interesting & beautiful fish. There are many species.

They aren't, they're just a part of the ecology. People are actually thrilled to see them. They are after all, an interesting & beautiful fish. There are many species.

Then why are they causing problems in the Atlantic?

Back
Top Bottom