Lionfish Awareness and Elimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not about cashing in for another course. On bonaire, the visiting divers want to get involved in collecting and culling lionfish, unfortunately they are not allowed to spear; only trained volunteer divers are. This is an opportunity for those divers to assist on some of the action- there was a huge demand to go out with our staff on these dives. also, we are running the course both as a PADI and as a non-PADI course; and the majority of customers WANT to get the certification, even though it costs a little more.

The reason we are offering it as a PADI course is because I wanted to create an amazing course so that we have the opportunity to really educate people, and I am a PADI instructor; who else should i have had as the certifying agency?- personally i dont have time to sit down with my customers one on one just to chat about lionfish education (though i wish i did), in this course there is a knowledge presentation right at the begining to explain about lionfish, their invasion into Caribbean and Atlantic waters, and to teach about various elimination techniques (marking, collecting and spearing). then we go out and put those lessons into action.

I am sad that this amazing opportunity and personal accomplishment has turned into a PADI bash by some members

Oh please. Why would you need to have a certifying agency? You tell me, only trained volunteers are allowed to spear. Who mandates that rule and what constitutes "trained volunteer" under their ruling? Why does this have to be an agency certification? In other words, what is the point of making this a specialty course certification?

And this is not a PADI bashing. This is my questioning the cashing in by an agency ( is there any surprise that it would be PADI?). This just sounds like more marketing, using a real problem and the need of people to help as the vehicle.

Anyone that thinks they can make any difference to the numbers by catching or selling a course is deluded.

I dont know that we will be able to totally eradicate lionfish from these waters; it looks as if that would be a very difficult thing to do. A study released on lionfish management concluded that 27 percent of the species would need to be removed monthly to reduce the population- that is quite a number! but I also think that every little bit counts. Lionfish have only been in Bonaire's waters for a little over a year, and already they are establishing themselves quickly and effectively. The diving here is too beautiful just to do nothing. hopefully we can get divers excited about and involved in the elimination of lionfish and make a difference here on these reefs... I think that as divers who want to continue to enjoy the reefs in the Caribbean and Atlantic, we have a responsibility to help in elimination efforts and to stay active and informed about lionfish

It is not about cashing in for another course. On bonaire, the visiting divers want to get involved in collecting and culling lionfish, unfortunately they are not allowed to spear; only trained volunteer divers are. This is an opportunity for those divers to assist on some of the action- there was a huge demand to go out with our staff on these dives. also, we are running the course both as a PADI and as a non-PADI course; and the majority of customers WANT to get the certification, even though it costs a little more.

The reason we are offering it as a PADI course is because I wanted to create an amazing course so that we have the opportunity to really educate people, and I am a PADI instructor; who else should I have had as the certifying agency?- personally I don't have time to sit down with my customers one on one just to chat about lionfish education (though I wish I did), in this course there is a knowledge presentation right at the beginning to explain about lionfish, their invasion into Caribbean and Atlantic waters, and to teach about various elimination techniques (marking, collecting and spearing). then we go out and put those lessons into action.

I am sad that this amazing opportunity and personal accomplishment has turned into a PADI bash by some members

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!
I am appreciative that you are offering this course in the education and extermination of this invasive/exotic species that has appeared in the Atlantic basin.
I am somewhat fortunate in that I live in South Florida.
About 3 weeks ago I went to the Florida Dive Show in West Palm Beach Florida.
Mr. Randy Jordan of Emerald Charters in Jupiter was gracious enough to offer a "free to me" and a bunch of other people seminar on the life and times of the Indo Pacific Lion Fish that have invaded our waters.
I had previous to this read about, watched every video, and talked with everyone I could find personally or on line regarding the challenge the little bastages confront us with. I nevertheless learned a great deal more than I already knew from the efforts Mr. Jordan on the life cycle, proliferation, methodology of humane harvest/elimination, safe handling and cleaning techniques of these little invading monsters.

I think they are an absolutely spectacular fish to observe, in their native range.
Here, in the South Atlantic, they are a scourge.
It has fairly easy for me to learn how to deal with them living here in South Florida. This being said, if you were let us say from Minnesota, Canada, or wherever, and you take a trip to a warm place in the Atlantic that may be confronting an infestation, or just have a curiosity about the best, safest, and most responsible methods of eliminating an exotic species, this course sounds great!
I think it most appropriate that I toss a few bucks at a Dive Professional that is willing to show me the ins and outs. The time they spend showing me the ropes is taken away from professional time or even personal time. I do not know of any staff instructors or DM's making a lot of money, so I try when possible to contribute to the cause.
I saw Randy Jordan's Liontamer device at the aforestated show, and bought one.
Could I have taken a picture of it and whipped one out with $10 in materials and a bench grinder, YES.
But I know that Randy is spending time and effort in the battle, so I offered my support.
As far as Annieols efforts go;
I could absolutely care less that it might be another "PADI specialty" that many people feel the necessity to deride.
Let the market decide whether or not this is a good idea.
For myself, were I to travel somewhere and have the inclination to toss out some bucks on an underwater basket weaving specialty, good for me.

Chug
Hates LION FISH outside of their natural range.

Oh please. Why would you need to have a certifying agency? You tell me, only trained volunteers are allowed to spear. Who mandates that rule and what constitutes "trained volunteer" under their ruling? Why does this have to be an agency certification? In other words, what is the point of making this a specialty course certification?

And this is not a PADI bashing. This is my questioning the cashing in by an agency ( is there any surprise that it would be PADI?). This just sounds like more marketing, using a real problem and the need of people to help as the vehicle.

The waters around Bonaire are a marine park regulated by STINAPA. No spearing is allowed in th protected area, and no fishing along the heavily dived areas. In nov 2010 STINAPA ran a training class for the use of the ELF (Eradicate Lionfish) spear by their creators at Reef Protecion, and after held in water training. All ELF's are personally assigned to the volunteers, and we have all signed a contact stating they are only to be used for the culling of lionfish and only by the person to whom they are assigned.

As I stated the course is run as a PADI program and as a non-padi program by our non-padi instructors. Students have the option to take the exact same training (but with out a printed copy of our manual to keep and no padi certification) as the PADI course for a smaller fee, or a half day course which doesnt include an extra boat outing. We are trying to offer the course to as many poeple as possible, and some of our wonderful customers want to earn a padi certification as recognition for their hard work. The PADI course is a distinctive specitaly and is therefore not PADI's way of cashing in- I created the course, materials, standards, etc and asked PADI to approve it. The only fee PADI gets for this course is the PIC online fee we pay for the certification card- we do not order materials from them nor are they cut in on the profits for the course

I was never aware that lionfish were a problem in the Carribean, who introduced them to this area if they are not a natural species?

Searcaigh

the first report of lionfish in the atlantic was in the 1980's in florida, and while nobody is entirely certain where they come from, there are three major theories about them:

1. the deliberate release of captive lionfish; lionfish are popular in the aquarium trade, and occasionally when aaquarists grow tired of their pets they release them into the wild. The aquarium trade appears the most likely source for the introduction of lionfish into U.S. waters.

2. accidental releases of lionfish; there is a verified account of several lionfish being released in Biscayne Bay, Florida in 1992 when Hurricane Andrew destroyed a seaside aquarium, but the lionfish first sighted in south Florida was in 1985. It is likely that some of the invasive lionfish were introduced in this way

3. the least probable theory is that lionfish arrived in the Caribbean and Atlantic waters by being carried in the ballast water of large ocean going vessels. While there is no evidence to support this hypothesis, we know that this is a common source of aquatic introductions (such as Zebra Mussels), so we cannot totally eliminate it.

Last edited:
The waters around Bonaire are a marine park regulated by STINAPA. No spearing is allowed in th protected area, and no fishing along the heavily dived areas. In nov 2010 STINAPA ran a training class for the use of the ELF (Eradicate Lionfish) spear by their creators at Reef Protecion, and after held in water training. All ELF's are personally assigned to the volunteers, and we have all signed a contact stating they are only to be used for the culling of lionfish and only by the person to whom they are assigned. I see now. Thank you for expanding. It seems like they are making it hard to help truly go at the lionfish problem.

As I stated the course is run as a PADI program and as a non-padi program by our non-padi instructors. Students have the option to take the exact same training (but with out a printed copy of our manual to keep and no padi certification) as the PADI course for a smaller fee, or a half day course which doesnt include an extra boat outing. We are trying to offer the course to as many poeple as possible, and some of our wonderful customers want to earn a padi certification as recognition for their hard work. The PADI course is a distinctive specitaly and is therefore not PADI's way of cashing in- I created the course, materials, standards, etc and asked PADI to approve it. The only fee PADI gets for this course is the PIC online fee we pay for the certification card- we do not order materials from them nor are they cut in on the profits for the course
I appreciate that you are offering it whether it is a PADI specialty card or not. That does make a difference to my opinion. Thanks for telling me all of this. And now, good luck and congratulations. I hope this allows more visitors to your area to help you with the lionfish problem there. But I read in the other thread that the students won't be allowed to actually spear or kill lionfish during or after the course. You said they will "assist" in the spearing.... So, if they still aren't permitted to hunt them, how does this help the problem there or add to divers actually doing anything but taking the course?

The course involves several different types of elimination- marking and reporting sighted fish, collecting lionfish in bags, and spearing. Hopefully as time pases, spears will become available for the use of all divers, but until then they will be collecting and assisting in the spearing of lionfish.

My biggest hope is that divers will take the knowledge and skills they learn here and take them to other locations in the Caribbean and Atlantic. On some islands nothing is being done to stop this invasive predator, and i feel that the more word gets around that we can make a difference, the better the situation can become.

The course involves several different types of elimination- marking and reporting sighted fish, collecting lionfish in bags, and spearing. Hopefully as time pases, spears will become available for the use of all divers, but until then they will be collecting and assisting in the spearing of lionfish.

My biggest hope is that divers will take the knowledge and skills they learn here and take them to other locations in the Caribbean and Atlantic. On some islands nothing is being done to stop this invasive predator, and i feel that the more word gets around that we can make a difference, the better the situation can become.

Good luck to you in this. I hope it is successful.

I cannot even begin to fathom why the bureaucrats in the marine reserve/sanctuary/parks scattered throughout the Atlantic basin are not allowing virtually anyone who wants to try, to shoot the little bastages with a BARBLESS bolt of some kind.
These supposed professionals are clearly not aware of this thing called the internet that has loads of information by reputable scientists pointing out the cost of their laziness, ignorance and general stupidity on this matter.
The whole "No Spearfishing" argument is hollow.
The locals just about everywhere in the Carribean that I have been to shoot fish with impunity anyway, whether is is lawful or not.

I am partial to the little Liontamer at this time, and I am anything but an expert in knowing if this is the best spear type. Clearly, shooting the things while gratifying and tasty, is about a spit in the ocean. these barbless devices are really only going to work on smaller fish and I hazard that I could not even kill a grunt with the little thing. I think I will try to pop one (a grunt) this week with the little thing. I expect that it will not really work as far as a clean kill goes, and I will have a friend right next to me to finish the job immediately with a proper spear type. What I have learned it that Lion Fish upon being hit by the little bolt, seem to just flare in place. They pretty much "shock out". A body cavity shot works just fine and I have managed to "stone" only a couple of them.

The thought that the students in the class cannot share in the fun of whacking them does not worry me. A personal case in point:
2 weekends ago I went diving in Jupiter with about 10 other divers on a head boat.
There were only 2 guys set up to kill LION FISH, in the two separate groups.
Myself and SB'er "Reef Haven".
I was typically with 5-6 other divers. I found and killed 2 LION FISH solo. With the other divers spread around and spotting for me, I saw 8 total, missed 1, botched 1 kill, and slayed 6.
Everyone on the boat had a blast spotting them. It was a simple process, take your pictures, catch your bug, sight see, take pictures, and point out any LION FISH you saw to me or Reef Haven, and move on. The dumb things freeze when they are under non threatening observation. My point is, having just one diver whacking them, in a large group is NOT a deal breaker. Actually, some people would prefer to have others kill them. Not everyone wants to kill stuff, but still recognizes the need to remove the exotics.

Chug
Death to the LION FISH (outside of their native range)!

Last edited:
I think the course is a great idea.

I applaud you on taking the initiative to start it. Every time I am fortunate enough to dive the Caribbean, I see more Lionfish. Last month in Utila, we saw them on almost every dive.

Many people on SB are aware of this problem. However, many divers in general, are still uninformed.

I hope to get to Bonaire this summer. Fingers crossed. I will sign up for the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom