Lionfish Awareness and Elimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....My PADI Distinctive Outline for a Lionfish Awareness and Elimination Specialty course was just approved this week, and will start running in a couple of days! .......

Hi,
can I get a copy of/license your outline?

We recently designed animated models of LF and we are about to add them to our simulator (virtual lion fishes invading virtual dive sites:D) and I would like to learn more how to kill them.

Also, how can you tell the difference between a male and a female LF?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Most of the lionfish we kill in S. Florida are less than 8" and not worth the effort for food value. Better to kill them and leave them on the reef, hopefully other predators will begin to recognize them as prey... I don't kill them for sport, glory or fun; just feel it's my duty to the reef.
The analogy of dandelions is dead on, feels just like pulling weeds.
I applaud anyone willing to help with the elimination of this invasive species.

Here is a link to http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/making-your-own-gear/356762-my-lionfish-slayer.html, it's cheap, effective, easy to use and easy to make.

Better to kill them and leave them on the reef, hopefully other predators will begin to recognize them as prey...

That's a common sentiment on the forum, and raises a question; will giving predators 'easy' dead lionfish as prey lead them to attack live lionfish that may sting, seriously injure or kill them?

Richard.

I'm presently in Jamaica, in Montego Bay.

The government here has declared open season on LF and I went on a dive where the DM had an Hawaiian sling, barb less with a triple head.

The two of us killed 8 LF in precisely 23 minutes.

Once harpooned it flares up and starts shaking, then it quickly goes limp.

With another fiberglass tipped rod you then poke a few holes in the thing while its pressed on the reef. It assures a clean kill and spreads LF juices in the water, to call the surrounding marine life for lunch.

I don't understand the authorities in Bonaire who are dicking around the problem. With all the divers there the Lionfish problem could be kept in check. After enough repetitive action the most visited areas could be preserved and this would give a chance for predators to grow a taste for Lionfish meat.

STINAPA is taking steps steps forward, albeit slowly, to help in LF elimination without allowing a free for all on the reefs. There have already been reports of volunteer eliminators abusing thier ELF spears (giving them to other divers, and spearing non-lionfish, for example)... Hopefully this stops, cause the job is just too big for the small group who are allowed to spear at this moment

oh :wink: and we definitely talk about various uses of the LF after they are speared or collected, but we are getting very few fish that are big enough to be eaten.. though we are enjoying them when we do :D

Last trip to Cozumel team took out 40+, the lion tamer just bounced off some of the bigger ones, and we do mean BIG ones.... After modification, adding another band to increase power and affixing triple point to it became extremely lethal to all of them. Congrats on creating the class. I've seen one reef that had dozen and nice life a year later completly devoid of life.

Good Job Annieols! I think it's great that you are educating people on lion fish awareness and eradication. I live in a cold weather state and there arent' any lion fish here, but if I had the opportunity, I would take the class. I wish there was kind of course for it out here, even if was just classroom and learning how to use the speargun in the pool to practice......then I could help remove them on my next dive vacation.

Here's a shot from yesterday off a reef in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
This is the only one I saw down there so I put a spear thru em :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom