Lionfish in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now heres a good one. The lionfish have invaded the reefs Cozumel, as we all have hear, seen and read. But what happens when the fish are invading a reef where sport and commercial scuba diving is not permitted? In cozumel, with so many ppl diving it monitoring the area is less of a problem. Last week while doing some monitoring for fish grouping in the southern reef of the Sian Ka'an biosfere reserve, 128 km south of Cozumel, a diver brought to me a fish he had found in a lobster trap inside the coastal lagoon in Sian Ka'an. The fish turned out to be , sadly, a very healthy and very live lionfish. Four others were reported to me in the same week, all inside the coastal lagoon, inside the lobster traps in less than 10 feet of water and near the mangroves.
Now the tricky part here is that tank or compressored diving is not permited inside the reserve unless with special permit and for scientific reasons. So the only real gauge to monitor the invasion of the lionfish in this area are the coop fisherman that are free diving for spearfishing and lobster catching. Well that and the monthly monitoring for fish aggregations we been doing.
Interesting problem on this area.

Hello Miguel,

I just posted a topic what the National Marine Park of Cozumel is doing here.
They addressed this problem as well and they are trying to get only this species out of the jurisdiction and or mexican laws so that professionals or operators in the industry (not the tourists, because of the venom) can take the lion fish out of any water in Mexico, park or no park.

We just got back from a week of diving Cozumel and I'm happy to report we didn't see a single lionfish. We dived Columbia, Columbia shallows, Santa Rosa Wall, Punta Sur, the C53, Palancar Gardens, Palancar Bricks, Yucab, Maracaibo, and Maracaibo Fingers, plus a few day and night shore dives beween Villa Blanca and Blue Angel, including all around the outside of the stingray prison. We did however talk to a couple people that had spotted them.

and Maracaibo Fingers,

I've never heard that term before. I know lots of DMs and captains have different names for different sites. How would you describe Maracaibo fingers? I'm guessing it might be Maracaibo shallows or Chunchakaab. What was profile and what sort of things (animal, miniera, vegetable) did you see?

Just got back from Coz and heard about, saw and caught/killed lionfish on our dive. Not by me I must add, but the DM.

However as a UK citizen and the Red Sea being our backyard, like Coz is the USAs', apart from the Splendid Toad Fish, all the fish in Coz exist in the Red Sea AFAIK, and the lionfish are not a threat in the Red Sea, so why in Coz.??

Really, I'd like to know the difference.????

TIA

I have seen Lionfish in Cayman but not Cozumel. Wow. Anyone have a pic?

A good one was at the start of this thread, but here is a current one (at palancar I Think?, and the biggest I have seen down there.)

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 68
Diving today at Tormentos. Saw two lionfish. Caught one and one got away. First sightings in my three days here however I'm sure that we missed many.
I did not appreciate how well they are camoflaged until seeing one for myself.The young ones are almost transparent!

There probably needs to be an aggressive, "exception only" program initiated that includes proactive culls by authorized individuals. Whether those be DMs or otherwise. I've heard they have decimated fish in other areas and an immediate, no-nonsense approach is dictated. Perhaps DMs can be allowed to carry spearguns and goodie-bags and be allowed to use. I know of at least one DM who is so passionate about keeping lionfish from populating Coz that he'd make this a priority on both guided dives and a private personal mission. This could be devastating to Coz.

One additional thought - if grouper can eat these things, then another strategy is to increase surveillance of illegal fishing within the marine park to ensure their protection.

Marg,

If the park/gov't. would come up with a bounty system it would be profitable for the DM's to catch them. Jeremy stopped by the house a couple of days ago to visit and had one in a bucket he was taking home to his aquarium.

About once a week he makes a run and drop them off at the marine park. This one made # 87.

I've never heard that term before. I know lots of DMs and captains have different names for different sites. How would you describe Maracaibo fingers? I'm guessing it might be Maracaibo shallows or Chunchakaab. What was profile and what sort of things (animal, miniera, vegetable) did you see?

Sorry for just now replying. I somehow missed this thread.

It's the same as Maracaibo Shallows. I've seen it called both on different dive maps. I think our DM called it fingers that day if I remember correctly. It was all one big decompression dive after doing the wall. The coral was in extremely great shape, and we saw a lot of smaller life, turtles, a young nurse shark etc...

There was something that looked like cobwebs on a lot of the coral that I hadn't seen in such abundance before. Our DM told us it's because of spawning. Coral spooge? Ewwww! :shocked2:

I don't remember the max depth but most of the dive was around 20-25 feet and we spent more than an hour offing nitrogen from our first dive while looking at the healthiest reef I've seen since Wilma. I highly recommend it! :wink:

Just got back from Coz and heard about, saw and caught/killed lionfish on our dive. Not by me I must add, but the DM.

However as a UK citizen and the Red Sea being our backyard, like Coz is the USAs', apart from the Splendid Toad Fish, all the fish in Coz exist in the Red Sea AFAIK, and the lionfish are not a threat in the Red Sea, so why in Coz.??

Really, I'd like to know the difference.????

TIA
Are lionfish not a threat in the Red Sea because they are not there at all or because they got there naturally and long ago so that they occupy a stable niche in the food chain?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom