Lionfish in Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ednedfred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just retruned from a week in Playa, we generally go there in February and June. I have dove the area for the better part of a decade and am really concerned with the amount of Lionfish that I saw on this trip. Unfortunately, they were at all levels (30 - 100 feet) and varied in sizes. Many were swimming about out from under shelter. While I am sure the rodeo's help, I heard that some Grouper like them, however it is impossible to tell based upon the numbers. I would have liked to try shoot at them with a spear gun, however I don't believe I could apply a tourniquet to myself at the surface, not to mention under water.

Otherwise, the diving was good. 84 degrees, pretty strong current, 80 feet viz. Dove with Abyss, as usual, they did a nice job. Counting the days now until February.

And all the way down to Mahahual Chinchorros Banks. The guides in Chinchorros spears thdm sometimes and you can see all types of fish eat on them. I just posted a video from Chinchorros bank that actually shows a queen triggerfish eating one of the lionfish he speared. have a look!

Het we missed you while you were down Ednedfred!

Back
Top Bottom