Lionfish stings....what do they feel like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So did any of you sting-ees treat the sting with hot water as is recommended?

How'd Memo manage to get hit? He recover OK?

Lionfish tourny (on the 24th?). I didn't see much of Memo this last trip (busy dude). I saw him on a surface interval on our short trip soon after we got there. I normally see him at checkout, but missed him as we checked out on the 25th. He got stung for the tournament. I was told he was taken to the doc and that pain meds did not agree with him. I wont speculate:( ... I've not talked to him about the hit. As you know... He's a tough SOB. I was told he was really hurting. Last I heard pain was subsiding (25th). I look forward to a face to face description. I'm sure ther's a story there.

So did any of you sting-ees treat the sting with hot water as is recommended?

Hot water helps a little but doesn't cure it. It just causes the venom proteins to break down faster. And, you have to be careful not to burn yourself with long exposure to high temps.

Jorge at Blue Angel got stuck pretty good in April. He took at least 4 spines very deep into the butt of his hand.

He was in a lot of pain, and used the heat of the boat motor to try and pull some of the sting out of it.

By the time we got back to the hotel his hand was swollen, not huge, but bad enough.

Trooper that he is, he didn't miss a day of work and was right back at it the next morning depsite still being in pain and his hand still being quite swollen.

It took several days for the swelling to come down, I'm not sure how long he put up with the pain, but you can imagine being puctured by 4 razor sharp spines fairly deep into the palm of your hand...pucture wounds hurt the worst anyway without the added venom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom