Lithium batteries for DEPARTING COZ flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the last year or so Mexico has started to follow the TSA guidelines on lithium batteries. There was a sign in the Cancun or maybe Cozumel airport stating that lithium batteries were to go into your carryon. I just flew out of Cancun a few weeks ago with a bunch of lithium batteries in my carryon and it was fine. My buddies flew out of Cozumel and they didn't have any issues either with them in your carryon. You can ask at the ticket desk where you drop off your checked baggage. Worse case scenario you put them in the check bag then swap to carryon at immigration in the US if you have a connecting flight.

Leaving GCM three weeks ago, I was told that my dive light might switch on in checked luggage and overheat, causing a fire risk. So I put it in my carry-on.

Separate issue: I always get flagged for extra security check leaving GCM. Thorough deconstruction of my camera bag at carry-on screening. An hour later, they call me to take apart my checked dive gear and dirty laundry. Security manager at GCM says its the US TSA people who flag me but I fly about once a month, at least a third of my flights are international, and its only GCM where I get flagged. Not to hijack this thread, but it makes me think COZ, Bahamas Bonaire etc are much friendlier places to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom