Lithium batteries for DEPARTING COZ flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GameChanger

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just went through the baggage check at the American Airlines counter and they said ALL lithium batteries, loose or in a camera, must go in CARRY-ON.

I replied that lithium batteries are in watches, laptops, cellphones etc and they cannot be removed easily. They then said “No lithium in Checked Bags.” I reached into a side pocket of a checked bag and retrieved a small camera battery that was in a plastic baggie and had the contacts taped. They made me put it in my carry on.

They then checked-in my bags.
I’m sitting in the waiting area now hoping the battery police don’t find the other lithium batteries installed in some other items...

I read Sue Sue’s pinned thread and made sure ALL batteries were in a checked bag in plastic cases or in separate baggies with the contacts taped. I guess the policy has changed or perhaps I’m not reading it correctly.

Yes, I am aware of the US-TSA baggage policies. I’m referring to the battery info in Sue Sues’ pinned thread.

Yes, I am aware of the US-TSA baggage policies. I’m referring to the battery info in Sue Sues’ pinned thread.

The last time I went to Cozumel, the rule had changed to where all Li batteries had to go in carry on, but I'm pretty sure the change came from the airline (United), not TSA.

Pretty much the rest of the world except Mexico had come to a consensus a few years ago that lithium goes in the cabin not checked. For years it was a hassle that inbound and outbound rules differed. Seems Mexico has finally come into conformance.

The posted policy for batteries on American Airlines flights departing from US airports has definitely changed since my trip to Grand Cayman in only 9 months ago (June 2018). It USED to be batteries in devices COULD be in checked bags, but extras had to be in carry-on.

It is currently (March 2019) as listed here:

Restricted items − Travel information − American Airlines

Bottom line: All batteries should be in carry-on, either in the device or loose in separate plastic bags. That is, batteries in (e.g.) a light must be removed from checked bags.

Battery transport rules are constantly changing. Folks don't understand the difference between "lithium" batteries and "lithium metal" batteries. Or, that batteries installed IN A DEVICE are regulated differently from the same batteries shipped on their own.

One day a gate agent told me "You can't take that dog to the gate" to meet someone. I said OK, let the dog off the leash and let her go by herself. "What do you think you're doing?!" Well, you said *I* couldn't take her, so I sent her on by herself.

Even when they know the rules, they often don't know what they're saying.

There was a sign up in JFK about the batteries when I was checking in for Cayman Airways. Other airlines use the counter and this looked to be affixed over the work stations. Soon they might take away our clothes at the rate they are going. Hope the dog didn’t get arrested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom