Little Cayman, January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there in January and dove a 3mm shortie the whole time with no chill.

scaldwell:
Hi,
I am going to LCBR, first week in January. What are typical water temperatures at that time of the year? Is a 5mm suit excessive?

Thankyou!
The temperatures right now are 81F most places, though I occasionally get a reading of 82 and have seen it as low as 79 when we had some weird currents come through. That might go down a degree or two by January. Most dives I don't wear anything but trunks; it's only when I know I'm going to take swim-throughs or that I have a student where we're going to go kneel and play skills demos that I wear skins. And the only time I put on a wet suit was when I was doing a Rescue course--just so the student would have a blimp with plenty of buoyancy to tow around. One of the other DM's here at LCBR is in the same mode I am, but the others are all wearing 3mm now. I think most of the guests are wearing 3mm something now. But I don't think I graduated to a 3mm wet suit last year until about February. On the other hand, I can remember that one of the DM's last winter was wearing 7mm and a hood--but he probably weighed 98 pounds dripping wet.

In other words, you could come with nothing and probably be ok. With skins, you would feel better--and fit in with the crowd. With a 3mm anything, you'll be very cozy. 5mm won't hurt, of course, but it's more than you need. Just please leave the dry suit at home!

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom