little incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Intrepid:
...no one should touch your gear but you. Never assume anyone has done anything to your gear. Request crew and DMs to leave your gear alone, don't have them 'help' you switch tanks, etc.

If you always do it yourself, you always know its done right. Then the only thing you have to check for is the moron who is trying to be helpful and turns your valves off by mistake.

Never trust anyone else to deal with your gear.

100% correct. Nobody touches my gear. When I was in Belize the DM attempted to switch out my tanks. Politely I informed her that I always handle my own gear and do not allow another to touch my gear. She took no offence (who cares if she did). Trust nobody with your gear and always do a buddy check. I was surpised when I saw a lady on the boat telling one of the employees that she does not know how to put her gear together and could someone put it together for her! IMO if you do not know how to set up your gear then you do not belong in the water....

oscar_2424:
...shouldn the divemaster of the boat check if the air is open before you jump??

IMHO, absolutely not. It is the diver's responsibility for a final check of their gear.

Most of the boats I use won't touch your valves unless you specifically ask them to do so. Even then, it is still your responsibility to check that they are set properly for the dive.

I agree,you are responsible for your own gear.I always change my own tanks and if my tanks were changed during the night,i would check it thrice.I m very possessive on my tank valve...once it is in my hands,you better get your hands off or prepare to get hell from me.

I watch them help people off the boat, and they turn the valve without your even knowing it. I have to remember *every* time to tell them to please leave my valve alone. I have gotten some hurt looks and some comments, but I, too, have had DM's and deckhands shut off my air just as I was about to jump in.
Like they all said, NOBODY touches my gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom