Live-A-Board Videographers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyingfishvideo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good Day.

I have been dive center videographer for a few seasons. Inspiration came from watching a videographer on a LOB years ago at the Similan Islands. I bought some gear and taught myself how to film and produce DVDs for divers. Then I found myself a pretty good gig with ScubaZone on Koh Chang in Thailand as I learned my craft. I'm just about ready to explore new seas and step up my game...

To all you videographers out there working on a live a board, what is a day in your life like? Pros and cons of the job?

Thanks for your time & advice,

Rudy
www.flyingfishvideo.com

Hey Rudy,
I have not been a videographer who has worked solely on one ship but I have been on more liveaboards than I can remember as I lead trips. The onboard videographers have a rough life in several ways. They need to make sure they get all the guests in on the video as all guests like to see themselves. They must spend much time while everyone else is sleeping, editing all the footage and putting together a finished dvd to sell to the guests. The problem now is that there are an ever increasing number of videographers on board shooting their own stuff and thus sales for the on board shooter have gone down and you make less money for an equal amount of work. Like any crew member, in addition to the shooting, you have your own 'other' crew chores to do and never enough time to do it in. The good side of things enables you to hone your shooting and editing skills while getting to see the world and meet people from all over. The life experiences and adventures will be forever lasting and you can't underestimate the value of that.
Good luck to you in your endeavors.
Steve

I actually had a full time videographer for 2 years. He would set up a list of all passengers to make sure he got a topside video, topside still, inwater video, shot of them coming up the ladder, shot of them jumping in. He worked like a dog for an extra 24 hours above and beyond his normal shipboard duties. He never slept the night before the last day so the video was ready to sell. Invariably, groups coming on the boat would buy 1 copy and distribute it among themselves after they got home. I think he sold the video for $65, certainly reasonable for the amount of work he did.

Now he peddles camera housings for a major manufacturer and makes a lot more money.

I worked as videographer in Maldives and have experience with people copying the DVDs. It's ironic because I download the occasional movie myself but I tell myself that it's different.

I found that most people do not want to pay for anything and will figure out ways to cheat even if asking price is very low. While I am not a professional videographer, I do film all of my dives and always tell people that if they want a copy they can purchase it from my trainer for a minimal fee. I figured that asking $10 was very reasonable. Boy... was I wrong. Most divers getting certified want to see a video of themselves so they could show it to relatives but even they do not want to pay. I got to the point where I post my stuff on youtube and remove it after a while. Time and again someone will contact me complaining that their video disappeared off the internet and I offer to sell them a cd for $5.00 plus cost of shipping. They act as if I am asking them to give up their meal for the day and usually refuse.

I have come to terms that I just video tape for myself and my own family.

However... in out of country trips there are quite a few divers that pay me $10 and I mail them a dvd as soon as I get home. Perhaps when they get a wiff of $150 asking price from dive charters they quickly realize that there are cheaper alternatives. I do not want to be taking bread and butter from people but if asked... I never refuse because it helps me pay for my trip.

Thanks for the input folks. I particularily took note of the comment about how underwater video is now more accesible than it has ever been and divers do not have to rely on a videographer to capture their dives on video like in the past. So what is the future of the underwater videographer?!?! Not everyone has the time and equipment to make a video of their dive so I can still see a need for live-a-boards to employ a videographer, but for how long? Working harder than any other diver on the boat, yeah I know all about that. DM's & instructors are out drinking with thier clients at night while I am stuck editing in front of the computer.

I have a suggestion for minimizing the tendency of groups to copy and distribute a video production (without permission) based on a single purchase. If "Mohammad" and "Wendy" buy a copy, you could personalize a number of frames with their names (e.g., Mo and Wendy Dive the Maldives). At a minimum, this might reduce satisfaction reaped by the 8 other recipients of the bootlegs. Some of them might even opt to buy their own copy, if only to have Mo and Wendy's names removed.

A drawback of this approach is that production time would increase, with each copy needing to be rendered and exported in post. But, it may be worth a try.

I worked as a marine biologist/underwater videographer on Lindblad Expeditions eco-cruise ships for about five years in the Sea of Cortez, Belize and Honduras. I was VERY fortunate in that my video preparation duties were limited . I did NPOT have to prepare an underwater video to sell to our passengers. I prepared short highlights from each day we dove and gave brief talks. My underwater footage was given to the ship's videographer to include in the DVD (s)he made to sell to the passengers. Of course that is pretty unusual.

........a certain skill is being lost, on the experienced photo/video person who has put their time in, both in tanks of air and equipment.

It's sad, or funny sometimes, to see Mr Noobie "I just got certified and now have a camera/video rig to add to my task loading" but meanwhile doesn't have a clue about neutral buoyancy or becoming a good diver.

I guess in some ways it's a natural progression, OW certification excitement and they think their Jacques Cousteau of the film world...............but then again, you tube is full of horribly exposed pisssss green pea soup of a blurry blue butt photo/video.

I've both bought videos from the boat/videoographer guy, and also given away an hour long video of my work, at least I ask people who will gladly take a copy of my work, for a beer or drink.

I've got $$$$1000's worth of equipment skills and knowledge, they have a memory stick saying "make me a copy"???? geez at least buy me a beer.

Yes some people are cheap, rude and ignorant, and don't even know that they are.

Old thread, but yes, have seen this many times too, priorities all screwed... spent 10 grand on the trip but even $40 is too much for a nice travelogue of your trip that you spent the time it took to take your wallet out to make. Or more than $99 for hotel room?! Shocking! We're all getting what we paid for as we drive prices down to the minimum. They don't just change those prices to what you want. They lower quality. Go to the grocery store, there are no name brands, only store brand crap. Go to the drug store, same thing. Buy an auto body part. Anything below top cost is crap that doesn't fit right, but that's all you can find. In fact, we're likely now getting a worse product/price value than when we were paying higher cost. Replaced the car radiator recently. It's plastic so you can't really rod it out, you have to replace it. It's slightly cheaper but doesn't last so you replace more often. Again, costs more in the long run. Where are we going to go after the current "all about me" generation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom