Live aboards from Cairns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomada_AM

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I am going to Australia in december and would like to spend one week of diving. Which live aboards can you recommend? Who can give me the best bang for my bucks?

Is it enough to take a 5 day live aboard to Coral Reef and Cod Hole? or, is it worth extending to a 7 day dive trip including Ribbon Reefs?

I have had a look at TAKA and Spirit of Freedom. Do you have any experience travelling with them? Do you recommend other agencies?

What other diving destinations in the GBR can you recommend?

Thanks!

Fabio.

Went on a Liveaboard to Cod Hole with Mike Ball Diving a few years back. It was a 4 day/3 night one. HIGHLY Recommend. They fly you to Lizard Island (or you end the trip at Lizard Island and fly back) They must have changed the itinerary b/c when I did it I did the Ribbon Reefs..Those are a must..Extend for as long as you can...
Happy to discuss my experiences with you more..

I was on Mike Ball 2 years ago. I did 7 day/6 night. The were doing the Cod Hole, Ribbon Reefs etc and if you don't want the full week you could do the Lizard Island thing. I agree with ft. lauderdale diver that I would Highly Recommend.

Would suggest northern ribbon reefs usually done with Cod Hole. Or Coral Sea. Or better yet both, do the 7 days if you can. Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom are the top tier. TAKA does it too but is a step down from those. I wrote a review of TAKA here. If you search for TAKA or the other boats you are interested in you will find some others.

In 2003 we dove at Osprey Reef then Shark Reef as it was very calm water, Ribbons and Cod Hole on the liveaboard "Diversity" out of Port Douglas.
Every dive was worth repeating for our 5 night trip. The diving at anyone of those places is terrific.
Unfortunately someone bought that boat for their own private use and can no longer be booked.
App0001.jpg

File0329.jpg

File0339.jpg

File0363.jpg

File0392.jpg

Just make sure you get out to the Coral Sea (Osprey Reef)!

Have written to similar posts on this site, but I live and work as a diver in Cairns, and all the advice above is great. Personally I solidly recommend Ocean Quest for a 3 day or 2 day trip out of Cairns.

If you can go a little bit more upmarket and have the time - Spirit of Freedom, Taka and Mike Ball are the best 3 that run to the Ribbon Reefs (best of the Barrier Reef and includes the Cod Hole) and Coral Sea.

I opreate a small web site that offers info on all these trips (as well as providing discounted prices). Details can be found below and please feel free to contact me if anyone needs any unbiased advice.
Kevin

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Main page

I did Spirit of Freedom in 2005-Cod Hole, Coral Sea, etc. Incredible trip. I am on here looking to see if they have kept up their service/boat/equipment. Anyone been aboard this year?

Yes they have. They turn their equipment over every year . 2 at most, and replace it with new. Boat is still looking as new, and comes in for refit each year for a week as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Main page

Back
Top Bottom