Liveaboard Dilemma: Red Sea, Thailand or Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have already done Utila last year and I am scheduled to dive Bonaire in May and Roatan in November. After these, I want to say farewell to Caribbean diving (for some time) and will be looking towards more distant oceans. I have air-miles which would need to be used so I can fly anywhere for free.

For my first trip outside my immediate Caribbean backyard, I am looking for a budget liveaboard that would offer superior diving than the Caribbean without breaking the bank! I am not too big in luxury boats that promise hotel like comforts. I just need a bunk to sleep in, something to eat and dives that would blow your mind away!

Three liveaboard destinations that I have narrowed my focus down to are as follows:

1. Red Sea: Prices are really low at this point and diving seems to offer a good mix of everything. This destination may get expensive in the next few years because the present liveaboard prices seem to be low due to political instability that Egypt is coming out of.

2. Thailand: Another budget destination that offers a wide variety of liveaboard options.

3. Maldives: Once again a lot of options when it comes to liveaboards. Some boats are pricier than others but in the end, I rate my experience more on what happens under the ocean than over it.

So scubaboard ... if it was your first trip outside Caribbean waters where would you go and why?

I've dived both the Red Sea (almost every year) and I've done the Similian Islands via a Liveboard in Thailand...a few years back. If my comments will help..

Thailand was much more scenic, the islands etc. Its truly beautiful. But it was mainly reef diving, we did do a Roll on, roll off ferry towards the end of the trip... Saw Whale Sharks which was the highlight. The underwater landscapes are very beautiful, but I did leave Thailand with a sense that I would of preferred two weeks in the RedSea for the same money...

Red Sea, its got an amazing mix of shallow wrecks and reefs and plenty of life - to 120m canyon dives. It does feel like it has it all, although it does seem to fully exploited thou, with the big dive sites bubbling with lots of divers all the time.

If you haven't done the Red Sea, I think its a must. (Especially at today's prices). Do one of the Northern Wrecks and Reef tours, where you get to do most of the 'classic' sites.

From Europe, the choice is clear: Egypt and the red sea isby FAR the best quality/ratio. I strongly advocate liveboard for the reason that the chance to get involved in a "islamist" trouble is more remote. the second is that the sites visited are much better and more varied than the sites reachable from the coast.

Maldives: more expensive, at least for us and getting more and more expensive. I would sey that the sites are as interesting as the red sea. Be aware that 30 to 50% of the dives will be in passes. That means drift dives with some current. So I would say that the level required on most liveboards is higher than most red sea liveboards.

Asia: I have never been to Thaïland but I have been to many other places in Asia. I think that most europeans will prefer Malaysia, Indonésia, Micronesia or Philippines to Taïland. If you love currents Try Komodo. If you love nice walls with plenty of Live Sipadan. If you love small stuff and beautiful biodiversity, try Rajah Ampath or the earea around North Sulawesi. If you love wrecks, go to Micronesia. How I forgot to tell you about the nices place that I have dived in: French Polynesia in The Tuamotu. Good luck with you search.

Maldives: more expensive, at least for us and getting more and more expensive. I would sey that the sites are as interesting as the red sea. .

I have heard about liveaboards being expensive in Maldives but the rates that I see on internet do not seem to reflect that. The boats that I am looking at are:

MV Sting Ray (1200 USD for 7 days including Nitrox)
MV Emperor Voyager (1455 USD with nitrox)
MY Sharifa (1540 USD with nitrox)

Even the more high budget ones have good pricing

Scubaspa Ying 1815
MV Orion 1838 USD

Is there anything that I should watch out for?

I think of that list, the Maldives is the top destination and likely the priciest to get to, particularly in airfare because of the distance to travel. And that distance would also be a big downside because it's effectively on the opposite side of the world from you. However, you could see some amazing stuff there, the potential for multiple whalesharks, and the cultural experience would be interesting as well. I'd expect that it will blow away most of the Caribbean diving you've done as well. My experience has been that liveaboard prices tend to be similar the world over (unless you are intimately familiar with Asian boats to use) and so the airfare makes all the diff. What about PNG if flying is free? It's typically big money to get there from USA as you pay big money for the trip to Australia, then a similar price again just to get to PNG from Australia. They have some great liveaboards there. Between the land PNG experience and ocean diving in PNG, it would be far and away a pretty amazing experience. Not a vacation, but an experience. Your only problem would be how any subsequent trips would pale in comparison to that one. :)

Your only problem would be how any subsequent trips would pale in comparison to that one. :)

This.

At this point, Thailand would still have a lot of "wow-factor" for me so no need to do PNG just yet. Its time will come when I have other places to compare with and be impressed.

I would be looking at Thailand for sure. The Similan Islands are very attractive and easy dives to use as check dives and get some great photos. make sure you get a boat that goes to Koh Tachai, Surin Islands and Richelieu Rock. There are many boats that offer this trip to suit all from budget to 5*. One dive center offers several boats for this. Richelieu Rock Liveaboard is one good company. This was 1 boat but if you look at some of the other boats there are slightly cheaper but this is about the best value. Big boat, good food and mid range cabin for a few dollars more than the very basic. you can depart when YOU chose and stay for as many days as you like rather than a fixed cruise like most offer. Definatly worth an e-mail.

Very FEW people in Europe will tell you that Taïland is better than most other places - that I mentionned - in Asia.

I wont speak for the other two options, beyond the fact that "Maldives" leave a bad taste in my mouth after a certain forum was sued for discussing (in some cases somewhat heated) a certain scuba accident happening there, so I would be very careful with which dive ops I chose to use if I where to go there.

As far as the red sea goes; Northern reefs and wrecks liveaboard with a couple of days before and after in El Gouna - trip report with both pics and video: evenalie.com :: Red Sea - June 2014
I would say though that you should not have too high hopes with regards to shark in the northwest red sea, they like it better in the strait of Tiran and down towards the south...

Back
Top Bottom