Liveaboard dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving liveaboards mostly in the Caribbean, Belize and Hawaii (Aggressor, ExplorerVentures, Nekton). For 5 days there were usually 5 scheduled dives and 2 dives on the 6th and final dive day. I have been looking at the many boats in the Maldives, and it seems that 18 dives for a week is the norm. Do any liveaboards do 5 dives a day?
Thanks,
Jay

I don't know in general, but the boat I was on traveled a fair amount to get to the right places at the right times, and with the variety of currents there timing was important. The typical clockwork Caribbean 8-10-2-4-night sort of schedule that works in benign predictable conditions, wasn't really viable. We sometimes didn't know it was time to dive pretty much until it was time to dive. I don't recall doing a lot of night dives either, certainly not every night and maybe not at all.

I imagine there could be an itinerary that dove all mellow sites and fit in more dives, but it would probably be missing a lot of the good stuff. I also think a lot of boats in the Maldives are catering to more to Europeans and so there may be less demand for 5/day.

Last edited:
I have been diving liveaboards mostly in the Caribbean, Belize and Hawaii (Aggressor, ExplorerVentures, Nekton). For 5 days there were usually 5 scheduled dives and 2 dives on the 6th and final dive day. I have been looking at the many boats in the Maldives, and it seems that 18 dives for a week is the norm. Do any liveaboards do 5 dives a day?
Thanks,
Jay
There are some night dives on the Maldives LOBs but it is almost always three day dives plus the night dives some nights. There is a big barbecue meal on a beach one evening and the last night is spent in Male. Many of the dives are in channels and are at or near 30 mts , perhaps that's why. Personally I love that schedule , time to read and relax and nap. Most of the time the boat moves between dive so you get to see a lot of the islands. The laws on diving are pretty strict in the Maldoves , we were told that the Maximum duration is 60 mins and the maximum depth is 30 mts. We really love it there, have been to Komodo and RA and the Red Sea , the Maldives are wonderful.

The Carpe Vita offers 4 dives a day, but not 5.

Thank you for the information. I will do more research. The Carpe is part ExplorerVentures. I dove with them twice on their Saba- St.Kitts trip. Great Experience. I will try them in the Maldives. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom