Liveaboard from Vietnam or Thailand recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pogiebait

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hoping I can get ideas or recommendations for my first liveaboard for an upcoming trip to Vietnam for the first week of January. It will be my first liveaboard, and I'm hoping for a real convenient departure from Vietnam. I'm starting to think there's nothing there, and may have to go to Thailand or so. If you guys were to do this, what would you do?

I'm not aware of any diving liveaboards in Vietnam. As far as I know, the dive sites are all easily reachable from the coast, so a liveaboard doesn't make a lot of sense. In Thailand, there are plenty of liveaboards in January. All you need to do is pick a time frame and a budget level, and there will be more than one option for you to select from, almost certainly.

What would I do? In your situation, I'd evaluate the importance of doing a liveaboard. If I felt it was something that would make my trip especially memorable, I'd head to Thailand. If I just wanted to do a lot of diving conveniently without additional international air travel, I'd probably opt for a safari-style dive trip moving south (or north), hitting Van Phong Bay and Nha Trang on the northern segment, Phu Quoc on the southern segment, and Con Dao between them.

Thanks Quero. Since posting this question, I've dug up something that might work. My impression from doing a lot of reading here, and elsewhere, is that diving in VN is just not worth it, and in January, water will be cold too. I've found a way to fly to Bangkok, then to Phuket, reasonably priced, for a liveaboard departure. Having made it SE Asia, I'd really want to dive the fabled islands around Thailand. I've put in a couple of emails for the MV Jazz, as this is the only boat I can find that fits my schedule, but haven't heard anything from them. They're the last piece of the puzzle, but I'm afraid of timing out of other possibilities (if they exist) waiting for them. Do you know of any other options for the dates between Jan 4 and Jan 8, 2012?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom