liveaboard galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funktup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi,

I am travelling south america and hope to be in the Galapagos around late January / February.

Is it possible to book a liveaboard when i am there? Would it be cheaper and how would i go about it?

Also is the diving good at that time of year?

Thanks

hi,

I am travelling south america and hope to be in the Galapagos around late January / February.

Is it possible to book a liveaboard when i am there? Would it be cheaper and how would i go about it?

Also is the diving good at that time of year?

Thanks

Galapagos liveaboards book up way ahead of time. You better start looking into it ASAP. Who knows, you might find a boat with a cancellation or an empty spot.

Last edited:
It's weird, I was just going to post the same thing. But then I looked at the Aggressor availability and both boats have open spots that week. Payment is (theoretically) due tomorrow.

So is that a bad time for the Galapagos?

My LDSis going there in october, Ill ask him about the time of yr tomorrow and they are using the agressor btw.

It´s never a bad time to dive in the Galapagos! The "high season" for whale sharks will most likely be finished by then, but the Niña effect this year has thrown most "averages" out of whack already this year, so you might be lucky!

I am more bothered about lots of hammerheads and mantas believe it or not, dont get me wrong whale sharks would be a big plus!!

The Aggressor had a 26% discount if you paid your deposit by Nov. 19th for a departure before Feb. 28, but that's now over. Full price now, but definitely space available. Humboldt is sold out. Deep Blue in dry dock. Galapagos Sky also has space in January. No other options in Jan. We can offer you a 25% discount on the Humboldt in February. Check the promotional departures on our website. We keep it quite current.

Unlike Naturalist cruises, it is almost impossible to arrive in the Galapagos and get a good last minute price on a dive cruise. No one has their offices there, etc. Galapagos liveaboards don't directly offer last minute rates. If there is space, some wholesalers might have their commission raised in order to pass a savings along to you. So better to seek out promotional departures online. When the Humboldt announced their 2 for 1 specials, most spaces sold out in 48 hours.

Diving is good year round. As was mentioned, La Nina threw a kink in what's 'normal' these past few months. Though the height of whale shark season is normally July - November, seems this year, November is seeing more whale sharks than other normally prime time months. Had a guide with many years of experience guess that January might be the best time for huge numbers of hammerheads, based on previous El Ninos / La Ninas. Cabo Marshall is the best place to see Mantas.

Check our comparison chart for an overview on Galapagos Liveaboards. It's a compact handy reference guide.

I think above have answered most of your questions but if you are still looking for latest availability and best rates for Galapagos, you may want to check out my website DIVE ADVICE TRAVEL - Welcome to Dive Advice Travel or send me a note to Dom@diveadvice.com. I would have answered your request sooner but I was just at Dema followed by Tiger Beach - the Tigers were pretty impressive !! :)

Jan 2-9 7 nights Galapagos Sky 4 spaces in 1 dlx + 1 master cabin
Jan 3-10 7 nights Humboldt Explorer 1 female share 50% discount
Jan 9-16 7 nights Galapagos Sky 12 spaces in 2 master + 4 deluxe cabins
Jan 10-17 7 nights Humboldt Explorer 1 male share @ $1000 discount
Jan 16-23 7 nights Galapagos Sky 14 spaces
Jan 20-27 7 nights Aggressor I 5 spaces
Jan 23-30 7 nights Galapagos Sky 15 spaces
Jan 30-Feb 6 7 nights Galapagos Sky 16 spaces
Jan 31-Feb 7 7 nights Humboldt Explorer 15 spaces @ $1000 discount
Feb 3-10 7 nights Aggressor I 5 spaces
Feb 6-13 7 nights Galapagos Sky on option
Feb 7-14 7 nights Humboldt Explorer 16 spaces open