Liveaboard newbie looking for a first liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well of course! Seems to be the way we travel lol...

1) Ah, the Kona manta ray night dive, have always wanted to do that... that's a good one, didn't think about Hawaii...combining a liveaboard with Hawaiian islands is sure to be a wife pleaser.

2) How would you rate your Sea of Cortez trip against your other experiences, I've never been able to quite get a handle on the Sea of Cortez, sometimes it seams that people rave about it being incredible and other times they are just so-so...

3) You are good! Never thought about GC as a liveaboard, have been trying to get to little Cayman forever as a land diving trip, a liveaboard there is probably the best way to experience the Caymans anyways. That's a real good one to mull over.

4) Hmmm, that makes sense too, however it sounds like timing might not be in our favor at this time. T&C is another one I've never been able to get a handle on the quality of the diving there?

5) Do you think the Bahamas are worth a liveaboard trip? Always kind of thought souly based on the low prices there that it might be a bit disappointing if you've got a lot of diving experience? Are the bahamas a 'dolphin rich' place with a liveaboard, that could be worth it alone...

You are a wealth of information Kathy, thank you for your time responding!!!

My pleasure!

1) I consider the night dive with Manta Rays off Kona as one of my top dive experiences - but I have read a wide range of reviews about it. Some people are ecstatic and others are unimpressed. Apparently the mantas don't always show up and the dive site may be over-crowded with land-based divers. When we were on the Kona Aggressor we were the only divers on the site and there were a lot of manta rays. Perhaps the Aggressor has the bandwidth to arrange the dive at a better, less crowded time, but anyway it was a great experience. We also saw critters in Hawaii that we don't usually see, different types of trigger fish and octopus that come out in the day time. It was a memorable trip. Check the water temp, it may be colder than you like in winter.

Last January I had to spend time in Honolulu on business (no diving) and I wasn't really looking forward to it because I knew it would be crowded and it is a long flight from Chicago - but it was really nice. Hawaii is gorgeous and the weather was perfect - a nice break from the Midwest. I had never been to Pearl Harbor but I finally got there and it was a very special experience. I even had the chance to splash around in the waters of Waikiki Beach a couple of times - and that was great! Hawaii in the winter would be an excellent destination.

2) The Sea of Cortez was great and different. It was all drift diving from inflatable boats. When we were done with the dive we would surface and inflate our sausages and they would come pick us up. Not the beautiful coral reefs of the Caribbean, but lots of healthy fish life and the sea lions were great. We spent a day in small boats floating around waiting to snorkel with whale sharks - and there was an ultralight flying overhead to spot them - but they never showed up and I got sun poisoning. Oh well.

We had a lot of fun in Cabo but I want to mention that the State Department recently issued a travel warning for Baja, see below - so that is something to take into consideration.

"Baja California Sur (includes Los Cabos and La Paz): Criminal activity and violence, including homicide, remain an issue throughout the state. Exercise caution as Baja California Sur continues to experience a high rate of homicides. According to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Baja California Sur experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to the same period in 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured, have occurred during daylight hours."

3) The Caymans are one of our favorite Caribbean destinations and we will be heading there again soon to spend a week on GC and a week on LC. The Caymans are very clean and safe and you don't have to worry about drinking the water or eating the food and the people are nice. They also have good mosquito abatement and quality healthcare systems, and as we have gotten older that has become more important to us! But you pay more for such nice features and they are expensive.

As a LOB destination Cayman is rather different, because you can do many of the dives from land-based operations - since the reefs are nearby. But if you want to do a lot of diving in the Caymans, and if you'd like to see the best sites off of all 3 islands - then the Aggressor is a great option.

We had perfect weather the week we were on the Aggressor and we spent most of the time on Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight off Little Cayman, but we also got to dive the sunken Russian Frigate off of Brac, as well as some great dives off GC, too. I particularly remember the Sting Ray City dive on the last day of the cruise. My husband and I were not eager to do it because we had done it before and the site is often crowded with cruise ship passengers. But other passengers wanted to do it so we went along. The Aggressor got there very early in the morning and we had the site all to ourselves and it was a fantastic experience.

But again, they don't cross to LC and CB if the weather is bad. I think that they make the crossing around 70-75% of the time and you can research which months are most/least likely to be successful.

4) We've done 2 LOB trips in the T&Cs out of Provo and they were great. I have heard people say that the reefs aren't as nice as some other areas but I thought they were beautiful. They do tend to start a bit deeper (not bad) than some regions but they have healthy corals, lots of fish and turtles, and the big stuff to make it a great trip.

We also really enjoyed the time on Provo, and Grace Bay Beach is astonishingly beautiful and we drove all over the island. It is also a very expensive destination and they have had outbreaks or norovirus so we drank bottled water the entire time.

We were last there in 2013 and felt safe, but the US State Department also recently issued a travel warning - so again that is something to consider. If you get an airbnb make sure you are in a secure location.

"Crime
Petty crime occurs, including theft from rental vehicles. Muggings and armed assaults also occur, mostly in areas popular with tourists. You should be especially vigilant on Providenciales, which has a higher crime rate than the other islands. Armed invasions of private villas with inadequate security are a concern and have increased since December 2016; the victims were also assaulted. If you find yourself the victim of an armed robbery, you should comply with the perpetrator’s demands without resistance to avoid injury. Stay in busy, reputable and well-protected accommodation and keep the doors locked at all times. Always verify the identity of a visitor before opening the door. Use the hotel safe for storage of valuables and travel documents, as thefts from unoccupied hotel and resort rooms and villas can also occur.
Never leave valuables such as money, credit cards and personal electronics unattended, especially on beaches and in vehicles. Do not carry large amounts of cash, and use caution when using automated banking machines (ABMs), especially after dusk. Avoid secluded, isolated areas, such as roads, parks and beaches, after dark.
If you plan to explore remote areas of the islands, such as for bird watching, diving or snorkelling, inform friends, relatives or hotel management of your destination, whether you will be companied and the time of your expected return. Excursions should be undertaken in groups, preferably with experienced tour operators."

5) We've done several LOBs in the Bahamas and they were our first LOB experiences and we had great trips. The reefs aren't as nice as some of the more southern Caribbean destinations IMO, but lots of fish life and big animals, too. Plus on a LOB you can visit some of the more remote locations like the Exumas and the Cay Sal Banks. We were able to snorkel with wild dolphins in the Exumas and it was amazing!

The Bahamas aren't cheap either and they wouldn't be my first choice for a LOB trip - but it would still be a nice experience - I wouldn't turn down the opportunity. Except the water might be too cold for me. We did a Bahamas trip in March one year and I was freezing!

Another thing to think about, do either of you get seasick? I am prone to seasickness and I am often ill on the first night of the voyage. It never kills me but I kind of wish that I were dead - but it goes away and then I am fine for the rest of the trip.

It is always the deep-water crossings that get to me, like Florida to the Bahamas, St. Martin to Saba, Grand Cayman to Little Cayman. Boats that stay close to land without making a deep-water crossing usually don't bother me. I didn't get sick in St. Croix, or on the Kona Aggressor, or the T&C liveaboards. I don't remember about Belize.

Anyway, it is something to consider, good luck!

Last edited:
Another comment, liveaboards may seem expensive, but keep in mind that the price includes lodging, food (and sometimes drinks) and diving - a lot of diving if you want it - including night dives. You can also experience "special dives" at no extra cost or inconvenience - like mantas at night, sting ray city, tiger beach, and various wreck dives like the Thistlegorm in the Red Sea. The Blue Hole in Belize is also considered a special dive but frankly I wasn't that impressed.

When you work out the cost per dive it is usually cheaper than land-based trips. The only thing extra are the tips and nitrox if you use it. Also, the LOB vendors periodically run promotions and they usually offer discounts for repeat customers so you can frequently find good pricing.

But when you are figuring out the costs, make sure you understand all the charges. Sometimes there are taxes and port fees and marine park fees that are listed separately.

On the other hand, there isn't much to do on a LOB except eat, sleep, and dive - and they wouldn't be a great place in bad weather. A few boats in the Bahamas, St. Croix, and in Saba and St. Kitts offer some shore excursion options - and that can be fun.

Last edited:
Based on your budget, for a first LOB, I would not hesitate to recommend either the Aquacat based out of Nassau Bahamas or the Turks & Caicos Explorer 2 based out of Provo.

A little about each of them:

The Aquacat: I really like the Aquacat. I haven't been on her in a few years, but in a few weeks, I will be back on her for the 5th time. The boat is not the newest that I have seen, but it has the biggest cabins of any LOB that I have ever been on. It is very comfortable (stable at night when you are trying to sleep). The food was very good and (the last time I was on) the diving is good and relatively easy. If you do every dive on the trip, you will do 5 dives a day until Thursday which has no night dive and then a final 2 dives Friday morning. As I said, I haven't been on the Aquacat for a few years, so I honestly don't know what the life on the reefs is currently like.

Here is a link to a thread in which the Aquacat is discussed.

TCEx2: This is another LOB that I really liked. The crew on this boat have an innate ability to make you feel at home and comfortable. The cabins are a little smaller than those on the Aquacat, but still fairly big. It is also a very stable boat as far as rocking goes so sleeping onboard should not be a problem. It does have a rather unique way though that it swings on the anchor line when at a dive site. It does a really slow figure 8. If the boat isn't there when you come up at the end of a dive, don't worry, it will be back in a couple minutes. I loved the diving in TCI! It tends to be very "sharky". We saw Reef Sharks almost every day. (They were harmless and just somewhat curious. They'd come over to "say 'Hi'", hang out for a while and them move on.) The dive briefing on the TCEx2 are by far the best I have ever seen, with the DMs often dressing in costumes to illustrate a point for the site.

Here is a link to a thread in which the TCEx2 is discussed.

I would have no hesitation in recommending either of these for your first LOB.

My son and I had a great trip out of T&C, not sure what happened this year in the hurricanes.
Initial indications are that although there has been some minor damage, the reefs are in pretty good shape.

As far as I know,liveaboards only do the Sea of Cortez from mid summer to November.

Socorro!

Great destination, in prime season; a couple of really good operators.

Book it & enjoy.

Simple!

Socorro!

Great destination, in prime season; a couple of really good operators.

Book it & enjoy.

Simple!
I agree, Socorro is an amazing trip, but it would be pushing the limits of what the OP said was his budget and with an 18-24 hour transit to the islands, it may not be ideal as the first LOB that the OP does. (If he likes LOBs, after his 1st one, then maybe it would be a great choice for a subsequent trip.)

As far as I know,liveaboards only do the Sea of Cortez from mid summer to November.

That's right, the switch to the shark itinerary.

Last edited:
It's a 24 hr. crossing over to Socorro and you don't have the budget for it. If there are weather issues pff Cayman. they won't attempt the crossing over to Brac or Little Cayman - arguably the better dving. More likely in winter when even GC's north side gets shutdown. I've done many of the dives they do off GC from a local boat and between 2-3 operators they do them all. So the only advantage is having your room 50' from the dive dock via the Aggressor.

I like the T/C Explorer suggestion, I've been on it. Nice older big boat and one nice thing is except for a few lower priced cabins, all are main deck or higher. And have windows. Plus it has an extra deck vs. the Aggresor which does much the same route - we saw it twice at the next mooring over. All Aggressor's cabins on that boat are below the main deck with portholes - our main deck cabin had a nice big window. Lots of space also they have a queen sized bed, chest of drawers, corner desk and some space left over. Bathrooms are nice also - almost a full sized shower - I'm 6'2" and only had to duck thru the door - although the showerhead hit me in the chest.
It's a nice boat, from the main deck cabins you walk thru the dining room, lounge and onto the dive deck. Gear up and down a short flight of steps to the dive ladders. Also they vent the compressor heat thru the wetsuit hanging area so they dry between daily dives - my t-shirts dried in about an hour.

It's really nice deep wall diving, very healthy reefs. Some turtles, lots of rays - I counted 2 dozen at one site. At almost every site at French Cay we saw multiple sharks. The one thing they don't dive is wrecks as there's none within rec limits - some of the walls go down 1000's of feet. At one mooring the DM said when the boat swung out over the wall - the next surface it 2000' down. I believe him, it was that eerie deep blue color.

One night dive we followed some conch trails in the sand and found their owners out and about. Later that dive, the reef sharks fed in the bow lights while we watched hanging off the ladders - after we'd all reboarded later they moved to the stern so I was able to stand 5' away from hunting sharks. Pretty awesome

hth, I would also have suggested a Belize boat but you've been there. Check the website, they sometimes offer discounts - ours was $400pp. Turks and Caicos Liveaboard Diving - Explorer Ventures

For us from Phoenix it was an early morning flight to CLT, breakfast then a 10am flight to Provo. We got there about 1pm, were met at the airport and taken to Salt Mills mall for lunch/looking around while our bags were moved to the boat. They picked us up around 5pm with others on a later flight. The boat is in a south side marina and there's nothing nearby so be sure you have everything with you.

The crew was excellent although the captain and everyone else has changed since our trip - except Stan the Cook who's known for the excellent food he prepares. Not just saying that being hungry after all day diving - it really is great.

My buddy had been on the Bahamas Aggressor a few years ago and he said T/C was a lot better. We've also dove Grand Cayman land-based and the diving is very similar except we saw nowhere near the amount of sharks there.

Both are equally pricey so you wallet would take another big hit if you extend your trip on either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom