Liveaboard newbie looking for a first liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now there is a thread which is offering $500 discount on the Aquacat for the 16-23 Dec trip. A quick search on Orbitz.com showed numerous flights with 1 stop that are between $500-$600. One of the best options IMHO would be this one:
That would almost be like paying regular price for the LOB and getting return airfare to Nassau for about $55. It may be a good introduction to LOBs.

I'm with Hoag on this one, the Aquacat will be an excellent first time intro to LOB-I've done their trip twice and it was definitely a great time. Also keep in mind that both the Aquacat and it's younger sibling Blackbeards Cruises, are one of the only LOBs I've been on that offers a Shark Feed dive on every trip. The Cat also offers non-diving activities in the event you don't want to dive or have a spouse that does not even dive. I personally think missing dives on any LOB is a tragedy but hey, I want to get my money's worth!

The Bahamas were our first liveaboard experiences and we had some great trips. We did a shark feeding in Nassau many years ago and it was good, but it is not something that I particularly enjoy, but everyone is different.

December is early winter so the water temps will probably be in the mid to upper 70s, not bad, but if warmer water is preferred then the OP should look further south.

Last edited:
December is early winter so the water temps will probably be in the mid to upper 70s, not bad, but if warmer water is preferred then the OP should look further south.

I was on the Turks and Caicos Explorer 2 last mid December and I think the water temp was 79-81f. I had a full 3mm and had to break out the 3mm vest and light hood by day 3. It's all on your personal tolerance to cold I guess, I'm a cold water diver by trade but for some reason the 77-80f water temp gets me everytime. Most people on this trip had 3's, some 5's, 7's and one guy just had rash guard and shorts and he did every dive.

<<KathyV: Thank You!>> My comments were deserved. My experience is mostly Indo Pacific. I can highly recommend the amazing experiences you can have there on land and sea which I mention for all viewers benefit but understand the ask was for something closer. I didn't realize just getting to Hawaii is an 8 hour flight for them but that adds up. I admire the OPs dedication to getting to the ocean when they can't see one for 1000 miles in any direction. I also mention that I like liveaboards because they are much cooler temp wise than being on the land in between dives. Humidity in these amazing places is brutal for no humidity people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom