Liveaboard or Dive Suggestions for December 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shallingsam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a trip to Thailand/Laos from about Dec 1-20 give or take. I am planning on exploring parts of the upland country before eventually diving near the end of the trip. I was just wondering where the best diving will be at that time, what I can expect to see, and what operators/liveaboards are my best bet? I really, really want to see whale sharks, but I've been told that it's probably too early for that. I'm looking to do about 4-5 days of diving, but I've never done a liveaboard before. I haven't gotten sea sick before, but I've never stayed on a boat overnight either. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

The best diving near there at that time is around Richilieu Rock, Koh Bon, Koh Tachi and the Boon Song Wrecks. Most LOBs include those sites in their Similans trips departing from Phuket / Taplamu. There are many options for boats and day trips so I will leave that to the many agents that frequent these boards to answer. Normally though, seas are fairly calm there in December and there are many larger boats available that roll less so I would not be worried about seasickness. Some people get it anyway, even if they are just looking at a photo of a boat in drydock but they are a rarity.

Yes, you're too early for a whaleshark, and even if the time of year were good you have to be very, very lucky. Best location for of a whaleshark the last years has not been Richelieu Rock or Koh Tachai but Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, if the whaleshark is your main priority you could consider making a liveaboard trip there in stead of Similans-Richelieu Rock.

Plenty of choice for liveaboards to the Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock. Most are 4 nights, and the price range is wide. I wouldn't worry too much about getting seasick though. The boats are mostly quite large and at night will be moored up in very sheltered areas. As for whalesharks - yes, too early although who knows? Every year is different. The best dive sites for any chance of bigger fish - Richelieu Rock, Koh Tachai and Koh Bon (on the route of Similan Islands trips) - good chance of Manta rays also ... and then Hin Daeng and Hin Muang which are in the opposite direction, south of Phuket. if the dates fit, you could do a 3 day trip on the Similan / Richelieu Rock route and a short liveaboard to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang too. Happy Diving!

Hi again, Shallingsam! Liveaboard choices depend on two main factors: date and budget. If you have a broad range of dates, or even two date ranges (for example, beginning or end of your stay in Thailand), we should look first at your budget and comfort requirements and then you can shape the rest of your visit around the dates of the boat you select. If you have a tight date range, then we need to make that the defining factor and present you with whatever boats are available during that period and have you choose from among them. There are lots of good operators/boats, so we do need to narrow your choices down in some way before making any specific recommendations.

One's first liveaboard is a great experience, I certainly loved mine and like you hopefully, it was to the Similan Islands, Ko Bon, Ko Tachai and Richelieu Rock. I first went with the 'Dive Race' boat and then about 18 months later with the 'Black Manta' boat - both were great. DR is cheaper in price but I think BM's sister boat 'White Manta' sails this route now and is a bigger, spacious and more plush boat than DR. Both these boats have trips within your date range but they are plenty more liveaboard boats out there to choose from.

As for seasickness, you're rarely out of sight of land and normally you'll get put onto one of the islands for a wander around for a couple of hours if that will help you.

And really, don't expect to see Whale Sharks.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments. That's more reassuring. I don't expect I'll get seasick since it's never happened, but there's a first for everything. I'll have to look into those southern islands as well! Depending on what ticket I buy, I'll either be in Thailand from Nov 23 - Dec 15 or Nov 30-Dec 22. Diving would either be the first 4-5 days or the last 4-5 days with a free day before flying out. My budget is flexible but I'm probably looking at the midrange ones.

Yes, you're too early for a whaleshark, and even if the time of year were good you have to be very, very lucky. Best location for of a whaleshark the last years has not been Richelieu Rock or Koh Tachai but Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, if the whaleshark is your main priority you could consider making a liveaboard trip there in stead of Similans-Richelieu Rock.

Stevenl, what time of year have you got the most chance of seeing whalesharks at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang.

Does the amount of dive boats increase at this time of year or is it business as usual. I would like to dive with the whale sharks but am not interested if it turns into a circus show.

Back
Top Bottom