Liveaboard Outside of Exumas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the Main reasons i would compare Black beards to Lost Island adventures is because of the similarity in boats! In my understand, Blackbeards should not be affiliated with The Aquacat and Cat Ppalu. They are owned by the same people, but from what i understand are different companies.

Another is simply because LIA is the same type of trip as BB, just broader in terms of location and quality of boat.

The avalon is probably one of the nicest working sailboats ive ever done a trip on.

The rooms are big enough. Keep in mind its a little bit smaller than the BB boats But atleast it has a large compartment underneath your rack for TONS of storage, and not to mention PRIVACY which is something i NEVER had on BB's. Also the heads are heaps nicer and there are two compared to BB's. MY personal experience also is that i LOVE the crew of the avalon! it is something that is constant, rather than an interchangeable crew of Blackbeards!! you never really know whos going to be crewed on the boats of BB, and what their real intentions of being there are.

They recently switched websites. Hmph. I still have my price list sheet and here are the following individual prices. dont quote me but i think they may have group rates.

Rates for 4 Day / 4 Night – $795.00 / person
Rates for 7 Day / 6 Night – $1,190.00 / person
Rates for 10 Day / 9 Night – $1,690.00 / person
All meals, All beverages including, Beer, wine, rum drinks, Tanks, weights, weight belts Fishing equipment

Lost Island also lets you sail. They have always put the sails up when i was there and the crew have always been more than helpful in teaching me what i wanted to learn! You can also fish and put in beach time requests. They also have dedicated shark dive with cage trips!

Well, you sold me on this. I was researching a dive trip with my 11 year old son and was looking at BB. I dove with BB almost 20 years ago, well I was younger then and I am not sure if my bottom now can survive the hard bench:wink:

Anyway, the Avalon looks lovely and with only 1/2 the divers in the water compare with BB and not a big jump in price, plus since I haven't dove for almost 10 years (before kids :shakehead: ), 12 divers allows me to be more relax I guess.

I will be booking a 10 days trip with them in early June (need to make sure I can get flights out of Ottawa). My son will have his 12 birthday on this trip and he will do the AOW onboard. I can't wait to see his face on a shark dive :D

I have a trip planned on Blackbeard's Cat Ppalu catamaran. It sounds a lot like the Avalon, with the same type of configuration, and privacy. I went on it 8 years ago and loved it. Even had a chance to sail it. We didn't want the cheap Blackbeard sailing boat and couldn't affod the Aquacat so we picked something in between.

My trip is Mar 24-30. I have two spots available. Cost: $1143 at a discounted rate. If your interested, please let me know.

Thanks for asking but I'm just getting back from Cozumel on March 13 and then on Belize Dancer June 2. I would love to try Blackbeard's Cat but wont go one the sloop. I hear it's a "cattle call" type accommodatons. When I was younger, perhaps. I'm spoiled now and need a little more relaxation on my dive trips.

Happy diving, I'm sure you'll love the Bahamas.

The Cat Ppalu is actually a catamaran that fits 12 passengers in their own cabins. The sloops sailing boats are crowded with bunk beds and much less private. Blackbeard just happens to own and manage the Cat Ppalu. It's worth checking out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom