Liveaboard Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vvitola

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone!
I have decided and want to go to Raja Ampat this year. I could have 3 weeks of vaction any time from September - December.

After reading all the posts in here, we have decided a live aboard will be the best option. I have heard that it is advised to travel first to Manaos and dive Lembeh first.

I would like to know:
1. What time of the year would you advise me to go?
2. What liveaboard would you recommend? I have been diving for a year now and have 50 dives loged, but all in the caribbean, no experience with strong drift diving. (I have only been to Roatan and Belize) so I need a liveaboard in which the group is not too big, since I am not an experienced diver.
3. What flights options would you recommed? Is going to Manado really advised? I am traveling from Central America, so I can go from L.A. , NY, or London, since anyway is going to be a looooong flight for me.
4. What kind of wetsuit would you recommend? I have a ScubaPro 0.5 mm profiler and a shorty since I always dive on 83 F waters, do I need a 3mm for this trip?
5. Besides doing the 10 or 11 days live aboard, what else would you recommend?

Thank you very much!!!

1. You picked a good time period to go though the rates will probably be higher in December if that matters.It will also depend on what liveaboard you choose as they run different schedules to Raja.
2.One of the great things about Indonesia is the quality of liveaboards now diving there and to Raja. If you really want a small group quality liveaboard check out the Damai @ dive damai.com it carry s only 8 divers in style and you will get a dive master per 3 divers and though they are larger boats the parradise dancer,city seahorse and Tambora are all very quality and also will give you guided dives and just stay up with the dive master if you are worried.
3.Most of the boats go out of Sorong and Manado makes that a easy connect especially if your flying LAX thru Singapore on Singapore airlines which we really recommend another option is to fly on China Airlines which is a cheaper option but you would then go thru Jakarta which really has no value. Manado and Lembeh are definitely worth diving and would be a good warm up before the liveaboard, Lembeh has the small critter or Muck diving and Bunaken has the beautiful wall dives, you can stay close to Bunaken and arrange a day to go to Lembeh if your not sure about the muck diving but most people like it after they try it.
4. we get cold is even in warm water and you can really do some nice long dives 4 a day off the liveaboard so we suggest a 3mm
5. There are so many places to dive and things to see and do on one trip it just does not cut it and believe us as so many others will tell you this will not be your last trip, save something for next time but we would say that diving in Komodo is another world class dive spot and everyone should do a trip trip to Bali to see its gorgeous scenery and arts such a in Ubud and it also has some very nice diving to offer...Enjoy:D

Hi! Thanks for all the info!!!!! Which place would you recommend for staying at Manado/Lembeh??

Again so many great choices to make and not sure what kind of budget you have? In bunaken for the money we really like Tasik Ria and they have a great critter dive in front of the resort, Eco Divers are awesome as well is the Murex resort and for budget Thalassa resort is nice.
In lembeh we like KBR for the upper end and NAD divers as a budget option.
Here is a link to Safari Tours in Manado that can help you with choices and travel needs and you will see a trip on there page to Raja on the city seahorse in Nov.

Manado Safari Tours North Sulawesi: Discount Hotel & Scuba Diving Packages Bunaken & Lembeh

If you have a chance click on our link below and check out our travel page, we have a great trip set for PNG next year you may like and would be great to have you along.

Last edited:
Hi Vvitola

you mention you have no experience with currents. Do you know that down and up currents are normal in Raja? In particular in the northern part? I was on the Putri Papua in March. Would fit, but they asked you, if you have experience with currents. We dived 3 knots, had down and up currents and (strong) surge. At that moment, I had something over 200 dives and was by far the most Inexperienced on the boat.

Please don't forget, if you have a medical problem there, the next chamber is at least 24 hours (if you are very, very lucky and spend a lot of money) away in Manado or Denpasar.

Probably a stay in a resort could be better for you. Raja becomes quite popular so they have ca 7 resorts.

you can easily combine Raja with North Sulawesi. They are many flights between Manado and Sorong. So no problem. Attention: Air Asia do not fly to Manado anymore. so you should reach Singapore (Silkair).

I dived large parts of Indonesia, and I was always wearing at least a 5.5mm. Many times with a 6mm hood (also protects your ears) and a 7mm ice vest. I usually dive 4-5 hours a day so you start freezing after a while (in particular muck diving, because you do not move too much). Water temp. in Raja: 28°C, Lembeh was around 26-27°.

Shorty is probably a bad idea due to poisonous things that swim around and are in the water (you do not have to touch anything).

Lembeh: you can get pretty much every style. from very basic for some dollars to luxurious with the corresponding price. it might be a good idea if you could give some budget details.

tropical greetings

Thanks for the advice, I will try to look into resorts then... I am worried about the currents and my lack of experience, but I was really looking forward for a Live aboard.

Personally I unless you really want to see more, I would just do Lembeh and Raja and not Bunaken. To me the diving at Bunaken was not as good as I hoped, but I wished for more time in Lembeh (I did 4 days Bunaken and 7 in Lembeh). For budget price but pretty good accommodations and great staff, I would recommend NAD Lembeh. If you want more luxury KBR seems to be a great way to go.

Given you have 3wks (and from C.A.), and travel can take a while, I would say do a week in Lembeh and whatever time you have left in Raja. Also you probably want a recovery day somewhere. Last year I went to Lembeh with a friend from Peru and we were pretty much useless for the first could days due to jetlag (we stayed in Singapore for a couple days to recover from the travel and explore the city).

I am planning a ~1mo trip this same timeframe. I too am concerned with the currents in Raja. I have 100+ dives and have done 4 knts, but still I think I am unprepared for Raja, but I plan to do it anyway - ~12 day Liveaboard, although I dont know which one yet. I also plan some other location, but so far I dont know where. Komodo I dont want to do this trip because I think thats too much Liveaboard for me. I want something land based. I would go back to Lembeh but I want to explore more of the region. Maybe Sipidan or somewhere in Malaysia.

Just so that you know staying at a land based resort instead of a liveaboard will not change the currents in Raja it will just change where you stay. If you think you will want a resort instaed we would recommend Papua Divers Serido Resort or there cheaper Kri Eco Resort option, the owner Max and his guides have a lot of experience with the dive sites there as they were the ones who pioneered most of them.
You should not detour from the liveaboard option though if you believe in general that you are comfortable with your diving and what you really should do is to ask no matter who you choose to dive with be it either a resort or boat what they think, express your concerns and ask if they will give you a little more attention if they make it sound like either you would not fit for there style diving or are not willing to pay more attention to you I would not go with them. As Instructors/Guides ourselves we always appreciate those who are open with us and because of that everyone generally has a good time.
as far as the difference between Bunaken and Lembeh it is just a mater of taste again lenbeh being more towards Muck/or small stuff critter diving which we love and bunaken beautiful corals in clear waters. Our first dives in Indonesia were at Bunaken and we thought we had died and gone to diving heaven though we now believe sites such as Raja and Komodo to be better we still enjoy Bunaken very much.

PS The Kri ECO Resort is quite basic though comfortable you would be staying in a basic over the water hut without aircon if that matters and you will be pouring breakish water over your head for a shower if that matters to you. We stayed 3 weeks there though and loved it:D

Sorido Bay is top notch. Wandered over to Kri Eco during the Saturday that you take off from diving (resort policy) and it looked great but more basic.

I hadn't done much strong current diving before RA. They'll give you reef hooks (or did at Sorido) for the week for when the current gets strong and the fish get fishy (which happens every time on the current-y dives) and you want to watch them go by you rather than be ripping along with them. We did about 1/2 strong-current, 1/2 low-no current dives in the Kri area. You'll get used to the currents after a few dives. They really get to be unbelievably fun when you get comfortable with them. Just keep track of your air - any fight against the currents on a dive will have you consuming a lot more air.

Just a warning...once the Indonesian / SE Asian diving bug bites you...I hear it's incurable.

Hi Vvitola,

I would really recommend you to dive Raja Ampat and would not worry too much about the currents. The best is to tell your dive guide what it is you like and want. If you get to a dive site were conditions are not what you want, your guide will let you know and you can decide if you want to go for it or rather stay onboard and chill. Remember, it is a holiday and it is great so spend time enjoying the calm and beauty of the area.
Check those Indonesian liveaboards, they offer incredible service in the most amazing place on earth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom