Liveaboard recommendation for palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kneptoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am really sorry to throw out such a general question, but I am in quandary. My wife and I have put off Palau for years and gone to other locations basically because the air fare is so outrageous to Koror. And the return routing borders on sadism. Having said that, we are biting the bullet and going in 2014. We want to do a liveaboard and for the money we are spending we want it to be a good experience. So help is needed please. I am leaning toward Aggressor/Dancer as it fits our schedule pretty well, but I had a less than superlative experience with them in Fiji. A recent negative thread regarding a poster's trip on the Palau Aggressor, though extreme in some of the criticism, held some similarities to our experience aboard the Fiji Aggressor. There's the quandary. Recommendations appreciated.

Just you & your wife, and two other diving couples on the Ocean Hunter I (they can moor overnight or drop divers first thing in the morning at the popular individual dive sites, unlike the larger liveaboards which have to use smaller dive skiff tenders, and all tend to moor generally around German Channel.)

I have been on the Ocean Hunter 1 and toured the Ocean Hunter 3. Both answer different needs and are good boats- if you want a small dive group- then go with OH1 but the boat is small and older than the OH3. If the boat experience is important, then you won't find a nicer boat in Palau but you will be diving with more people. Please write a report no matter who you choose.

I have only been on the Agressor in the Galapagos, and it was wonderful. We are planning a trip to Palau also. What was your issue with the Agressor in Fiji?

Paulmkatz, here is the link to my trip report aboard the Fiji Aggressor.http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pacific-islands/300345-fiji-aggressor-ii-trip-report.html
On rereading it I will stick to my observations and critique. I will add the basic problems were poor site choice and poor tide choice. Tide choice is important in Fiji. A running tide brings out the soft coral and a lot more fish action with the tide driven plankton. Overall I did not find the diving better than land based diving out to Bligh Waters. Palau is similar to Fiji with land based operations competing with liveaboards. I think LOB is the way to go, I just want to find the right one for Palau.

I just returned yesterday from 2 weeks (2 back to back 7 day trips) on the Ocean Hunter 3. I'm still smiling :) I will write up a trip report in the next few days, but I can't recommend that ship enough. I am a frequent guest on the Dancer / Aggressor fleet in the Caribbean but I have heard less that stellar things on their boats in other parts of the world

I dove with the Palau Siren and would recommend them. In particular they were very cognizant of the tides and of avoiding the day boats on the big ticket sites. It's also a very nice boat with great food, etc. My only experience with the Aggressor fleet was the Galapagos Aggressor II and I thought they were great too (but the Siren boats are nicer).

Here's a clip from my trip on the Palau Siren:

[video=vimeo;55497917]https://vimeo.com/55497917[/video]

I just returned yesterday from 2 weeks (2 back to back 7 day trips) on the Ocean Hunter 3. I'm still smiling :) I will write up a trip report in the next few days, but I can't recommend that ship enough.
Looking forward to reading this - we have this booked in 2015.

I dove with the Palau Siren and would recommend them. In particular they were very cognizant of the tides and of avoiding the day boats on the big ticket sites. It's also a very nice boat with great food, etc.

Great to have you aboard and thanks for the vote of confidence ;-)

Back
Top Bottom