Liveaboard trips...Is a Divebuddy Required?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian74

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am interested in going on some liveaboard type trips now that I finished my advanced OW certification. I have heard of some such as the Sand dollar in Calif. and some of the Aggressor boats. My question is, are you required to have a divebuddy to sign up for those types of trips, or are there enough singled people usually on the boats to be able to pair up with somebody?

Thanks

Brian,

I'm getting ready to go on my second liveaboard trip in four weeks.

I travel alone and think that liveaboards are maybe the best way to go. On my first trip, there were 28 divers and I'd guess that about ten were singles. So, you are likely to be able to pair up with others to dive with. And, if your first buddy doesn't work out, you can switch around a bit.

If you're willing to share a room, they don't charge you a single supplement.

Last May, I went on a trip to Bonaire with my son. I think it would have been very difficult to find dive buddies to enable me to dive as much as I wanted.

Another good option for a buddy-less diver is to go with a LDS. I went to Cozumel with a group of about 20 from my LDS and that also worked out great....there were several singles looking for buddies and I was never at a loss for someone to dive with. Again, no single supplement if I was willing to share a room.

Some folks recommend singledivers.com, but I haven't done one of theirs. A draw back with them seems to be that they schedule their trips 'way in advance, so you have to commit fairly early, but that's just an impression I've gotten.

Ron

Brian,
Ron G. is correct and if the boat is already all paired up you can dive with the DM.

Finding a dive buddy on a california liveaboard is generally easy.
Carpooling is a little harder on your first go around, but not too hard.
I would suggest going to some of the socials and meet and greets to find some dive buddies.

Phoenix has a great dive community.

John

///

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom