Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has been said that Millennials are more interested in other things, or of those who do get into diving, have a different way they want to approach diving than past generations.
(I apologize to those not on Facebook.)

Be civil and tell him his behavior is not acceptable, even if he may be right in that you may have done something wrong. Bring it up with the cruise director as well.

I’m sorry you are having a bad vacation. I can assure you this behavior is not indicative of this demographic on other liveaboards.

@ivorynightfall PM me. I’m in Marin but work in San Francisco. :)

I don't care for it when someone picks one of the nicest lounging spots onboard and then stakes a claim by leaving their towel, book, and suntan lotion on the lounger while they go off diving, eating, sleeping, or whatever. If they run to the bathroom for a few minutes, that's okay, but grabbing a spot and declaring it their own for hours, even when they are not using it - is rude in my opinion. So I would have moved your stuff, too. It wouldn't matter that others were also staking claims, I would have no compunction about moving anyone's stuff if they had been acting that way.

You shouldn't have called him out when you were in the wrong (in my opinion). But his use of foul-language, name-calling, and bullying is totally unnecessary and a clear over-reaction.

Just ignore him and enjoy your trip. How is the diving in the Maldives?

Last edited:
he literally just said **** you to my face and called me a cockroach 3 times

Unacceptable, unfortunate and uncharacteristic with regards to our experience with hundreds of divers over the years. What a jackass. Sorry that happened to you.

On a lighter note, i think it’s hilarious your thread has been hijacked by a bunch of “old” people.

On a lighter note, i think it’s hilarious your thread has been hijacked by a bunch of “old” people.

LOL...might be 'cause that's all there are...hence this thread and a few others currently running...Good thing overall demographics don't match scuba otherwise I wouldn't have anyone to yell at "to get off my lawn!" :D

to Richard's earlier point - our last LOB was in March - there was one person on the boat under 30 and she had a non-diving bf at home. Even only a couple of the crew were 20-something and two were married to each other. The majority of the charter was a group of doctors or retired people.

Companies like Explorer Ventures discount certain weeks annually - almost always it's meant my buddy has had to take time off from work w/o pay due to his job. Made the week they shut down for vacation a target week for us annually.

We did a July trip once - there were several families on board with teen to 20-something children. I talked to one of the fathers of a family of about 6 - he said the only way they could afford it was he was a doctor and tthey were able to drive down to the boat in So. Fl. - it would have been too expensive to fly them all to a tropical island to board.

It makes Juliet an option since it's more economical and some of their trips leave from Miami. The flights over to Nassau for Blbackbeards aren't too bad either - from some southern origins you can fly in and meet the boat Sat. afternoon which means larger groups of younger people don't have to overnite.

Last edited:
I only was on LOBs once, two weeks in a row in the Red Sea, 2016. There the cost was much lower than elsewhere (that I knew of), sort of like Blackbeard like cost with a much more upscale experience. Getting there from the US is a bit costlier and more time consuming, but can be very reasonable from Europe. I attribute this and the security situation (perceived or real) to there being an about 50% mic of customers above 35... 40 and below on both weeks, even so it was an upscale boat. That is of course not meaning that I suggest you should only pick LOBs in places perceived to be more dangerous with reduced tourism rates... but I am saying that those are more likely frequented by younger folks on a reduced budget. I may be the odd not so young diver having to watch the budget...

To my fellow members replying on this thread, who keep saying "talk to me, I've got lots to say", that might just be what she's trying to avoid, lol

Ivorynightfall, while no one deserves to be spoken to the way that man has spoken to you, you've already been told by a couple posters that perhaps your actions have precipitated his nastiness. So first, check yourself because liveaboards require that we all use our best manners and be as thoughtful and considerate as we are capable of being.

Now then, I've been aboard the Carpe Vita 4 times. And one time, one of the guests was a psycho. That's how I know that the Carpe Diem Management does not put up with atrocious behaviour such as you are describing. Now, I'm assuming that you didn't call him any names. Definitely speak to the dive leader and/or the captain about this. Ask them what you should do about it and follow their advice. If he continues to provoke you nonetheless, insist that they let you speak to Agnes. I guarantee that you'll get a result. She's a no nonsense woman and used to be an Immigration/Customs Officer in her home country. She brooks no nonsense but also knows how to deal with each person and specific situation.

Oh, forgot to ask, are you seated near this guy on the dhoni? If so, get the dive leader to move you at the same time that you discuss the other matters with him.

Which of the 3 boats are you on right now?

To my fellow members replying on this thread, who keep saying "talk to me, I've got lots to say", that might just be what she's trying to avoid, lol ...//...
I'm pretty sure you nailed it with that insight.

Thus my suggestion to go solo. I've had my fill of young'uns who were all about snickering and mocking the dinosaurs. Just their way of confirming that they are not getting old. I'm fine with that. They have little to add to my only solace. If there is any way to herd them into their own dive world, so much the better.

I prefer communicating with open-minded people of any age, race, or culture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom