Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer communicating with open-minded people of any age, race, or culture.

I'm grateful diving typically attracts a great number of those. I attempt to be myself.

As for where to find age sorted dive experiences. Some regions are filled with young divers... The group that might find a 30 year old already over the hill. Liveaboards departing those locations often have a mix. Earlier, I mentioned Galapagos as an example I've seen of a younger crowd on liveaboards.

Checking the liveaboard's FB page and seeing the typical demographic of the boat might help in your discrimination.

Cameron

...that's the most I've ever put liveaboard to text and it still looks like it's spelled incorrectly.

lowviz, you misunderstood where I meant to go with my first statement. I meant that lots of us old folk do go on and on and on. Of course, we think it's just great discourse. LOL

Eg he literally just said **** you to my face and called me a cockroach 3 times because I called out the fact that they'd moved my stuff - nobody else's' and three other people from my row are doing the same thing - from a sun lounger I had been using in the morning on the top deck. He then responded by spewing the hateful words above. I'm not one to get in verbal fights with people who are irrational - especially on vacation - but with 5 more days left I am dreading further interaction with this couple.

Go have a chat with the cruise director and make it clear that the other PAX is behaving in a manner that is not appropriate and that you request that they have a chat with the other PAX.

lowviz, you misunderstood where I meant to go with my first statement.
Nah, I got it.

My response was worded to fit a wider audience. You would be a fun buddy on an LOB. I assume the OP is looking for the same within her age group.

No judge. People looking for release from their day-to-day.

I feel your pain. :) I don't mind making occasional typos / mispellings in chat messages, but I dislike making them in posts. And every time I type "liveaboard" it just looks (and feels) wrong! I much prefer being able to use LOB once the acronym has already been introduced.

...that's the most I've ever put liveaboard to text and it still looks like it's spelled incorrectly.

Wow, this thread turned out to be way more educational, thoughtful and interesting than I'd ever thought!

Thank you for all your responses. Particularly you, Kathy, I appreciate it :)

scubasteve, I will definitely let you know about next Liveaboard I take!

Outofofficebrb, I'm also in San Francisco! Let's grab coffee sometime, I'd love to meet and hear about liveaboards you're going on next!

I apologize if my original post is a bit patronizing - as an astute observer noted, boorishness is found in every age group and there is a particularly boorish couple on this Maldives explorer boat I'm on right now. It's not so much the old people, it's an awful old white man who has yelled at me multiple times now for being too aggressive (for context, I'm a young Asian female and do believe race/gender is a factor here). So much that I've taken the time to complain on scuba board on my vacation.

Eg he literally just said **** you to my face and called me a cockroach 3 times because I called out the fact that they'd moved my stuff - nobody else's' and three other people from my row are doing the same thing - from a sun lounger I had been using in the morning on the top deck. He then responded by spewing the hateful words above.I'm not one to get in verbal fights with people who are irrational - especially on vacation - but with 5 more days left I am dreading further interaction with this couple.

So I guess this has turned into - what do you do if you have an incredibly boorish character on your Liveaboard?
Agreed. I claim you have encountered the dreaded boat boor situation and simply mislabeled it as "old people are idiots". Many are idiots. Most are not. Like curlers and fishers most divers are good people.

Every few LOB trips we encounter the "nasty diver". It may be a single person, it may be a couple, worst case it is a bunch of complete tards.

Unfortunately there really is no place to hide. You could weight them up and toss them overboard at night but that just screws up breakfast.

Take a big breath and look forward to your next dive trip. This will not be your last. This may be their last...

I was once on a LOB with a diver dieing of cancer. He was a saint. He viewed every day was a gift. His dive buddy made every day a living hell for the rest of us since each day was not "the most perfect day ever".

giffenk, awesome post buddy!

giffenk, awesome post buddy!
This all depends. Maybe like me most people hate that "smells like old man" odour wafting off many old people?

Unfortunately, more than once, my dive buddy has pointed out that the old man we all are smelling is most likely me...

Back
Top Bottom