Liveaboards in Gulf of Oman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sheesha beach travel also does live-aboards, also on dhows (from Dibba port, just like Al Marsa): Sheesa Beach Travel

Both (Al Marsa and Sheesha) do an excellent job.

Al Boom does some short live-aboards (couple of days), mostly when there is an extended weekend like with Eid, national holiday, ...

Pavillion Dive Center also does organise some trips, but they use Al Marsa.

Hi Luca,

As you have already recognized, Musandam is a long way from Muscat and separated by UAE

If you want to experience diving around Musandam then you need to come to UAE not Oman. Boats for diving up on the east coast of Musandam leave from a place called Dibba which has an Omani as well as an Emirati port. There is also diving from the west side in Musandam from Khasab, again basically accessed from UAE through Ras Al Khaimah but it is possible to fly there from Muscat, but that means flying and reduces the number of dive days.

Diving around Muscat is better than diving around UAE IMHO, and the Damaniyats is the best in this area overall.

Muscat to Dibba is around 4 hours drive, might be slightly longer, I have never used that border crossing into or out of Fujairah emirate to Oman, so no idea how they operate compared to the Hatta / Wajaja crossing for Dubai.

Driving from Muscat to Khasab in Musandam will probably take 7-8 hours, visas are available at the borders.

Let me know if you have any other questions

thanks sear, very useful
i am then tempted to stay in the sourroundings of muscat and dive in the sites around there (especially the damaniyats islands)
this would allow me to diversify the trip and perhaps trek in the mountains or see some wadis etc.

Trips to the Damaniyats leave from Muscat, however I usually book through the Sawadi Beach Hotel dive resort (It is an hour closer to Dubai). Couple of interesting wrecks around Muscat.

If you are planning to see something interesting hire a car (4x4) and visit Nizwa (the old Capital) and drive up Jebel Shams and Jebel Khadra.

If it is raining or looks like rain, keep out of the wadis, 8 people drowned two weeks ago, flash floods are common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom