Lobster catching gloves that last

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedownunder

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Im from NZ we call them crayfish here, I catch them by hand, Im just new to diving and hunting, I tired some performance diver gloves and already the rubber on the finger tips has come off abit from wrestling with the crays wedged in the holes and crevices.

What do you use for catching by hand and are there any good gloves that will last abit longer?

Any tips for catching by hand?
I got 5 resonable sized ones on Monday but had to follow them all into there holes and get them that way.

We have red spiny crays here in NZ. I always eat the whole thing tail legs and bodys, very nice... why does it seem not many of the other hunters eat the bodys?
Seems very wasteful to me

Cheers Rich

I eat the thorax and leg meat :9

I would get a pair of kevlar lined gloves. I have tried SeaSoft's Pro Edge Titanium 3mm. Awesome gloves. My first pair held up about a year of heavy use until a bit of the seams came unravelled. The material itself was fine though. So I just restitched them and all is well again :)

divedownunder:
What do you use for catching by hand and are there any good gloves that will last abit longer?

We have red spiny crays here in NZ. I always eat the whole thing tail legs and bodys, very nice... why does it seem not many of the other hunters eat the bodys?
Seems very wasteful to me. Cheers Rich

Just proves that butter can make anything taste good!

I'm a bit squeamish about eating the lobster's waste-treatment plant, etc. I'm the same way with beef and chicken livers. That's just me.

I also pass on eating the shell, although I've heard it's a great source of calcium!

Give me good 'ole muscle meat and I'm happy. :)

Gloves? How about some thin gardening gloves worn over your scuba gloves?

Dave C

I use the EVO 2mm gloves with the Kevlar fingertips and palms. They were about $20 but they are good for all kinds of diving situations. They seem to work VERY well on lobsters too. And are holding up pretty good.

I've done a lot of lobstering, and find that cheap hardware store gloves...that I get quite a few trips and use from-- and then just discard as they wear out--work well for me...try to get gloves that may have a rubberized or leather fingers and palm area...happy hunting!

Usually just by multiple pairs of cheap work gloves and discard as they go bad.

We do some hard core spearfishing around oil rigs and then even more bug hunting inn the Keys. These gloves hold up better and provide better protection than anything we ever saw.

Price Range: $35
Product rating:

Akona All-Armor Tex Kevlar Dive Glove Akona All-Armor Tex Kevlar Dive Glove Features: ARMORTEX KEVLAR GLOVE: Constructed completely of premium ArmorTex/Kevlar, this glove offers unparalleled protection. Works great as an over-glove for cold lobster dives. KEVLAR PALM: Comfortable nylon lined ArmorTex/Kevlar palm and back provides non-slip grip with a soft touch. Extremely strong and tear resistant. STRAP: 1 12 wide Velcro closure with elastic wrist strap for adjustment. SIZES: XS through 2XL

Welcome my fellow lobster catcher Divedownunder !! Here in West Palm/Jupiter Florida, we catch a serious amount of 'Spiny Crays' also. Since you are hand grabbing, you well know the problems with different gloves that we encounter. Like others have mentioned, we need a tough material and Kevlar is the best out there.

Since you hand grab also you know that the spines on the antenea's face outwards and you need to move your fingers slowly down the spines to securely grip the knuckles. If those finger tips are not smooth then the spines catch on the glove material and the bug will back up and break off the antenea.

This makes the Akona's, Evo, workgloves, fabric and all other rough grip finger tip gloves stick on the spines of the lobster's antennea's and you lose that gentle fingertip grip to hold the bug from backing up on you. You need a smooth, non-grip fingertip surface to slide your fingers down along the spines so they slip over them and you can get the knuckle.

On a boat full of experienced hunters in Florida, you will only find them wearing these gloves below.

376.jpg

And the best part is they are friggin $13.00 !!! not $45. When bug hunting they will outlast any other glove on the market today. Here is the link to purchase them.

http://www.safety-products.com/p-376-nitri-coat-gloves.aspx

Disclaimer: I have no affliation with this company. I just catch alot of bugs and have a freezer full to prove it.

DSC00438.jpg

Post up some pictures of what you catch!!

J.

I was going to try a pair of those until the shipping was going to cost 9 dollars to Orlando. Pretty steep!

Johnoly:
On a boat full of experienced hunters in Florida, you will only find them wearing these gloves below.

376.jpg

And the best part is they are friggin $13.00 !!! not $45. When bug hunting they will outlast any other glove on the market today. Here is the link to purchase them.

http://www.safety-products.com/p-376-nitri-coat-gloves.aspx

Nice pics from the hunt! :D

Are those gloves Kevlar?

Seattle Marine has something similar, a palm-coated knit Kevlar glove around the same price:

http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=1824

atskv350_general.jpg

They also sell a non-kevlar version for $4.00:

http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=1735

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom