Lobster Counts/Sightings Down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastew

Reaction score
Since a few others have mentioned that the lobster sightings seem to be noticably less right now than that of the last few years. Anyone know of any enviromental conditions as to why??

>>I was curious if the increased stripped bass population was going to have any effect on lobster counts.
>>Or perhaps just a late molting (sp?)
>>The earlier spring flooding/run off?

anyone know about this stuff?

scubastew:
Since a few others have mentioned that the lobster sightings seem to be noticably less right now than that of the last few years. Anyone know of any enviromental conditions as to why??

>>I was curious if the increased stripped bass population was going to have any effect on lobster counts.
>>Or perhaps just a late molting (sp?)
>>The earlier spring flooding/run off?

anyone know about this stuff?

I WISH I had the answer. In fact I was going to try and get a laugh out of the board with a REALLY stupid question. My dive buddy and I are hitting Cape Ann on the fourth and since I have had ZERO luck getting lobsters this year I WAS going to ask if anyone has found a spot on the Cape that was somewhat productive this year? Of course then I realized thats tantamount to asking a fisherman for his GPS numbers for his honey holes!!! OK...I know, its a stupid thing to ask, but once you all stop laughing you could give me a hint if your feeling charitable.

keelhaul123:
Of course then I realized thats tantamount to asking a fisherman for his GPS numbers for his honey holes!!!

617-555-1314.

Tell her 'Mr Happy' gave you the number.

keelhaul123:
if anyone has found a spot on the Cape that was somewhat productive this year?
If you call 4 lobsters in two dives "somewhat productive", then yes.
I realized thats tantamount to asking a fisherman for his GPS numbers for his honey holes!!!
Assuming the fisherman agreed, why would you want a GPS? I am sure she has a street address, or at least a corner.

Sorry Pal. I didn't know.

ScubaNorth:
Why are you posting my wife's cell number?

Sorry Pal, I didn't know.

They are out there. John Chaplain and I did pretty good last Sat and that was sans tickle sticks in Boston Harbor. In fact, John L, Stogey and I saw many keepers last week in Lanes cove. We weren't lobstering but just "touring" that day. I have noticed some are softshell already.

Bagged 5 two weekends ago in one dive (tank) on Cape Ann; another 5 in one tank yesterday. They're out there...

OK I made it out to Cape Ann on the Fourth and the Lobster Gods must have felt sorry for me. The conditions were perfect with no surf, warm water (about 55 degrees) and damn I actually came home with a half dozen keepers on two dives. The vis was noticebly better than usual this year at up to 20'. I was surprised though that there weren't more divers out yesterday --- a few divers were just leaving as we arrived, but then we had the place to ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom