Lobster hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am interested in diving for lobster in southern california, my question to any lobster divers out there are several;
1. how do you get started,?
2. are there any courses that perpare you for lobster diving?
3. where in southern cal. do you recommend diving for lobster?
4. is there a lobster license that you need to buy from fish and game?
5. when does lobster season last and how long?
6. in short other than a class on diving for lobster, is there a book or website that gives info. on tips and suggestions and best of all cooking them!

thanks for the help?

California Department of Fish & Game
You need a California fishing license ($38.85), Ocean Enhancement stamp ($4.45) and lobster report card ($7.90). Any rocky reef or wreck that provides hiding places will be good for lobster. At night, they are out in the open so you can pin them, measure them and bag or release them without having to lift them from the bottom. During the day you need to pull them out of their holes. If they have their antennae pointing backwards, there's probably an eel in the hole with them. For catching, season and preparing info go to http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/lobsterbrochure.pdf

Additional things to know, be sure to have your measuring device on you--any dive shop has them. I live in Santa Barbara county, and up here the bugs are shallow early in the season--under 20 feet. As the winter sets in, they go deeper. Look for them "shallow" (sometimes under 10 feet), look for them in the eel grass, in and under rocks and structure, in caves, and look for them in the kelp--especially at night. They are "fast." Don't grab them, pin them--there is a difference. When trying to find them don't stay at same depth. In my boat, I start at 50ft and begin heading into shore until I begin to find them. If you aren't seeing them at 40ft, it usually won't get better somewhere esle at 40 ft either. "What depth are they?" That is what you seek.

9 times out of ten a lobster will take off backwards when you go to grab it. Aim at the tip of the tail and it will usually jump right into your hand. The tenth time it will jet forward, bouncing off your chest while you beat your chest with futile attempts to grab it, looking like you're doing an underwater Tarzan impression.

You can get a lobster gauge that mounts on the front of a big pistol grip dive light (eg. UK C8). I lost more lobster while trying to measure them then I could count before I got that setup.

The season opens Sept. 27th. Regs state that you must have an approved measuring device on you while hunting, and must have a current California fishing license, with an ocean enhancement stamp. The bugs must be a minimum of 3 1/4 inches, measured between the horns to the back of the carapice. The limit is seven (7) per day.

For what it's worth, this is how I do it, and you can adapt the techniques and configuration to your liking.

Equipment. Since I mostly night dive, I have a lot of lights. I use a UK C-8 rechargable for a primary, a UK SL-6 and 4 for backups, a Princton-Tec Impact XL on my mask strap for a head light, and a second Impact XL for a backup backup. I have a gage on a retractor on the lower right side of my BC, and a spring lock bag on my right hip. I wear kevlar gloves.

(Yes, that is a lot of lights. Some of my buddies call it stadium diving, but I notice they love me when their lights malfunction, and I have one they can borrow to complete the hunt!)

While I can catch them during the day, night diving seems to be easier, they are out and about.

Now, I dive mostly in Malibu. Big Rock, the pier, Corral, County line. Finding the bugs come first. Depth and habitat are the most important things. So, first find the habitat, then cover a lot of ground till you find a few bugs, in close proximity. Check the depth. This is where you'll most likely find lobsters in that area.

Start shallow. And I mean have your mask on, and be looking down, when you are still walking. I caught a 4 1/2 pounder in water I could stand in. Didn't even have my fins on, yet. Look carefully in the eel grass, if you can hold position, wait for a couple of waves and backwash to go by. This will frequintly reveal hidden bugs.

Capture. I keep my light in my right hand, and the headlight on, sweeping from side to side. When I spot a probable keeper, I turn off the primary, and position myself for a left handed grab. (I'm right handed, for some reason, the lefty grab works for me. It's why my gear is configured the way it is.) DON'T HESITATE!!! Grab fast and firm. OK, you've got him in the left hand. Measure, measure, measure! Remember, it's between the horns to the back of the carapice. If the back of your gage touches his tail, he's short, and on his way to freedom for another year. If the gage hits the carapice, his new name is lunch. Grab the squeeze lock with your right hand, open, insert lunch, and let the bag close on your hand. Let go of the bug, and pull your hand out. Grab your primary, turn it back on, and look sharp, where there is one, there are usually more.

The head light is important, even when you're wrestling with the bug, you always have light where you need it. When bagging, this is invaluable.

Repeat six times.

When you're done with the dive, re-measure on the beach. Ere on the side of caution, always, I've heard it's a steep ticket.

No snares or tickle sticks in California, the only tool you can use is a pair of gloves.

I have caught 4 over 10 pounds, my biggest was 12 lbs., 9 oz.
Good Hunting, see you on the beach!

TJ

Lobster report card??? They all get an "A" for taste, and an "F" for appearance if you ask me.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf :
(b) Limit: Seven.
Back in 2006 this read: Limit Seven in Possession with Possession being defined as by DFG as in your game bag+car+boat+home+freezer=7. So with the cryptic "Limit 7" is that per day or in possession. Given the multi-day permit I think per day sounds right, but if so this is a change. Best bet is to read the regulations for yourself.

In another place in the DFG Regulations 2008-2009 it has 3 columns listing location, Not allowed to take and, Allowed to take. Yep you guessed it, in the same location (Crystal cove) it says you may not take, may take lobsters. Talk about a fire drill, the DFG regulations are it. I remember on year having a discussion and unknown to me one of the posters was the DFC Commissioner, who stated X while the regulation clearly, with definitions of the words used provided by DFG said Y.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2008.pdf:
27.15. Multi-Day Fishing Trips. The following provisions apply to anglers and to boat owners and
operators when a Declaration for a Multi-Day Fishing Trip has been filed with the department.
(a) Provisions related to the angler: Up to three daily bag and possession limits of saltwaterfin fish, lobster...
:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom