Lobster poaching starts early

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might have been a different story if it was one of those camera based toll booths,
If they don't pick up on the transponder and and can't match the tag to it, they will bill you. That's happened to me before. Talking with them to straighten it out is always time consuming. Easy once you get a warm body on the phone, but that process takes 20/30 minutes.

They have to use one of the less convenient "old style" booth or get a bill in the mail. Renting a transponder is just a scam executed by the auto rental companies. Transponders cost $5 to purchase outright and are sold on regular shelves at convenience and grocery stores across the state. I have even seen them in vending machines at rest stops along the interstate. Most 'toll booths' are being converted to a system where a video camera takes a photo of your license plate. I don't think the transponders get used at all in those newer booths. The best part is you don't even have to slow down for the new system, I can confirm it works just fine at 90mph.

I'm pretty sure there's no fee to sign up for the account. https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml Toll fees are cheaper if you've got a prepaid account, although it's not significant unless you're hitting the toll roads frequently (during a commute or something). When you sign up, you register both your license plate and any transponder that you purchased. I've moved my "disposable" transponder 3 times now and it works just fine so I see no reason to pay more for the larger and uglier suction cup mounted thing.

Also if you're from Georgia or North Carolina, the toll pass systems are interchangeable. Georgia passes work in FL, Florida Passes work in GA etc. Hopefully all the states will get on board someday.

If you didn't bother to register for a sunpass account and you're here from out of town you will eventually get a bill in the mail. If you used a rental and the company got a bill in the mail then the rental company will probably put the screws to you.

I have sun passes in each car, and the heavy one that changes cars for when I need to rent something. You have to let them know ahead of time the plate number so you don't get a weird bill. Like when I need a U-haul.

Actually, SunPass is the one you want and you can buy it before you get here: https://www.sunpass.com/en/signup/transponderclassify.shtml

FL Toll Road Map with Agencies.png

Call them with a tag number when you pick up the car. Just do it before you leave. BUT... and it's a big BUT... change the tag after you return the car or truck or you'll be paying for their tolls till you do.

Please. If they read that they might take it as a challenge.

Thanks, all. The one toll road here in CO uses either a 'license plate' toll or a sticker transponder you can put on your windshield. It works great and the sticker provides a small discount in fare. But anyone can just drive through and gets a bill in the mail.

The rental car company told us that we had to have a transponder or we would pay $15 in fines for every toll we "violated," which was inevitable because most had no attendants at them to pay with cash.

The rental car company told us that we had to have a transponder or we would pay $15 in fines for every toll we "violated," which was inevitable because most had no attendants at them to pay with cash.
I'm sure it's true. You're paying the "violation" to the rental company and not the state.. they probably don't clue you in to that fact. Last time I rented a car they were still trying to charge extra for a GPS too... some people's kids. sheesh!

I'm sure it's true. You're paying the "violation" to the rental company and not the state.. they probably don't clue you in to that fact. Last time I rented a car they were still trying to charge extra for a GPS too... some people's kids. sheesh!

Probably, but the effect is the same. Next time I'll come prepared with a transponder or get one in a nearby store before hitting the highway.

From FWC...

image006.png

The answer is not always very cut and dry so I will provide you with the statues:

*Diving without a flag / Encroaching on a flag (boat):

327.73 Noncriminal infractions.—

(1) Violations of the following provisions of the vessel laws of this state are noncriminal infractions:

(u) Section 327.331, relating to divers-down warning devices, except for violations meeting the requirements of s. 327.33.

Any person cited for a violation of any provision of this subsection shall be deemed to be charged with a noncriminal infraction, shall be cited for such an infraction, and shall be cited to appear before the county court. The civil penalty for any such infraction is $50, except as otherwise provided in this section. Any person who fails to appear or otherwise properly respond to a uniform boating citation shall, in addition to the charge relating to the violation of the boating laws of this state, be charged with the offense of failing to respond to such citation and, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. A written warning to this effect shall be provided at the time such uniform boating citation is issued.

(11)(a) Court costs that are to be in addition to the stated civil penalty shall be imposed by the court in an amount not less than the following:

1. For swimming or diving infractions, $4.

2. For nonmoving boating infractions, $18.

3. For boating infractions listed in s. 327.731(1), $35.

(b) In addition to the court cost assessed under paragraph (a), the court shall impose a $3 court cost for each noncriminal infraction, to be distributed as provided in s. 938.01, and a $2 court cost as provided in s. 938.15 when assessed by a municipality or county.

Court costs imposed under this subsection may not exceed $45.

*Fines for illegal lobsters -

(2) LEVEL TWO VIOLATIONS.—

(b)1. A person who commits a Level Two violation but who has not been convicted of a Level Two or higher violation within the past 3 years commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

2. Unless the stricter penalties in subparagraph 3. or subparagraph 4. apply, a person who commits a Level Two violation within 3 years after a previous conviction for a Level Two or higher violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, with a minimum mandatory fine of $250.

3. Unless the stricter penalties in subparagraph 4. apply, a person who commits a Level Two violation within 5 years after two previous convictions for a Level Two or higher violation, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, with a minimum mandatory fine of $500 and a suspension of any recreational license or permit issued under s. 379.354 for 1 year. Such suspension shall include the suspension of the privilege to obtain such license or permit and the suspension of the ability to exercise any privilege granted under any exemption in s. 379.353.

4. A person who commits a Level Two violation within 10 years after three previous convictions for a Level Two or higher violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, with a minimum mandatory fine of $750 and a suspension of any recreational license or permit issued under s. 379.354 for 3 years. Such suspension shall include the suspension of the privilege to obtain such license or permit and the suspension of the ability to exercise any privilege granted under s. 379.353. If the recreational license or permit being suspended was an annual license or permit, any privileges under ss. 379.353 and 379.354 may not be acquired for a 3-year period following the date of the violation.

Back
Top Bottom