Local big box store sold out of their scuba stuff...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya.. I regularly seach craigslist and around here, you never find the $50 good tank with current vis and hydro..

This guy was only 10 min from our house so it was real close. It could not of been better.

He probably still has at least 3 steel 120's.
I know he had a ton of silver 80s. He had 19 when I went there. They just dont have current Vis.

It isn't a BAD deal...just saying it wasn't an AMAZING deal. :) At $83 that is decent if they had good Thermo valves I would say (and are in hydro/vip).

Where are you that you get tanks for cheap?

I regularly check the classified section on decostop. Usually the tanks that come up are in Florida (I'm not paying for shipping), but occasionally they'll come up around here for good prices.

83 isn't at all bad for a luxfer 80, though those valves are el-cheapo (not to say the won't work). I think you did pretty good for yourself.

Why would I want steel?

Less lead?

Less lead?

Ya.. but considering that these are for the whole family and I dont think my 10, 11 and 15yr old daughters would like to lug steel 120s around, the 80s and 63 make the most sense.

Steel comes in approx 80, 100, 105, 120, 130, and even140 - you don't need "monster tanks"

Steel also lasts longer, and you eliminate weight carried on your BC or via a weight belt, because the tank is negatively boyant - also better weight distribution as its on your back vs around your waist.

You also do not have to over weight to compensate for the boyancy an AL tank develops as you breathe it down.

To me, its a better overall experience.

I have 4 steel and 4 AL and would get rid of the AL as I never use them; keep them if someone needs tanks as we dive our own boat frequently.

I went to Gander a few weeks ago; bought a bottle of "sink the stink" at half off as they had nothing much else left.

You did fine on the tanks; but you could not give me AL at any price.

You also do not have to over weight to compensate for the boyancy an AL tank develops as you breathe it down.
I am quite certain that if you empty x cf of gas from a cylinder, whether it's made of aluminum, steel, lead, or styrofoam, your overall buoyancy, or lack thereof, has changed by the same amount

I am quite certain that if you empty x cf of gas from a cylinder, whether it's made of aluminum, steel, lead, or styrofoam, your overall buoyancy, or lack thereof, has changed by the same amount
In the case of steel tanks, the point is EMPTY they tend to be 1.5 - 6 lbs negative

The techies on this board can likely tell you exactly, but an AL cylinder will exhibit POSITIVE boyancy as it empties, as much as 5 - 6lbs - so you have to compensate via extra weight.

You use less weight w/ steel b/c it keeps the weight vs AL - its heavier to begin with, so you add less weight and its also a better distribution.

With AL I use 14 lbs of weight; w/ steel much less, 7 - 9lbs b/c the tank is going the "work"

Math was not my best subject, but I can tell you what I posted is true. I don't care what the weight of the gas is; all I care is I have been able to reduce the added lead with steel.

I personally just dont care that much. I only have to use 10lbs max when I dive. If I had to use more, I must be wearing something more than a 3mil. If thats the case I dont need to be diving. I only dive warm water.

Enjoy your tanks bro. Don't worry what anyone thinks. :)

Congrats on your find. Enjoy the tanks. Thanks for leaving the steels for us techies. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom