Local dive shop trip pricing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutbill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How much is too much to pay for a trip through a LDS?
My LDS has a Bonaire trip going out for one week for almost $1900 per person. It is to buddy dive and they offer what appears to be the same week for $800. The LDS package does include air fare but that is only an additional $500 or so per person. So what is the LDS charging almost $600 more for?

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

My LDS has a Bonaire trip going out for one week for almost $1900 per person. It is to buddy dive and they offer what appears to be the same week for $800. The LDS package does include air fare but that is only an additional $500 or so per person. So what is the LDS charging almost $600 more for?

Ask them.

In most cases, they send a professional along to lead the group and (hopefully) make it a nice group experience so that you will want to do something like it again. Maybe they will do more. The only way you will know is to ask.

Not sure why anyone would need a tour guide to get to Bonaire and go diving.

Most shops send someone along as a "perk for work". Likely, they are an Instructor and will be doing AOW (etc) type classes while they have you close on hand.

Send us some pix of the Divemistresses from your LDS. That could be the difference.

Your dive shop may have booked this trip 2 or more years ago, locking them into a higher price. The resorts job is to put butts in bunks, so they may be discounting if the trip is soon. Ask your shop what value they have added for the extra $600 clams. Maybe the dive truck is included. Maybe a meal plan is included. Maybe they want a huge profit.

IMO even $1 more than the "retail price" is too much to pay. Your LDS should be able to offer you a trip for what you can book it yourself or less. If indeed, you are being asked to pay $600 more than what you could book it for on your own you are getting screwed. Your LDS not only earns "free spots" on these trips but earn a commission as well. So they are already making money at the retail price without having to jack the price up even more. The thing is, some folks never do what you have done and take a few minutes to do a little research. They just see a price at the LDS, figure it's a deal, and sign up.

Like BJ said, ask them. See if they can explain what value you are getting for an extra $600 of your money. And if there is any destination in the Caribbean where you don't need a "trip leader", it's Bonaire.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2012 at 07:03 AM ----------

Hey Bill,

It appears that your LDS just does business that way. They offered a trip to the Little Cayman Beach Resort this Saturday for a week for $2195. It includes 17 dives, all meals, etc. I don't know what there current pricing is but that deal is usually offered by the LCBR for $1795. I am going there with a group of friends late this fall on the very same package for $1381. We still have spots left if anyone is interested.

You are all correct, I need to talk to them. Speaking with my wife, she just pointed out a few things.

The Buddy Dive pricing was starting at 800 per week so I guess that can be the very low teaser rate? I am going to check what rooms are actually selling for on the dates we ate going.

The convenience of having everything booked, while not worth too much it is nice knowing it is all set and not having to be the one calling, etc...

We are going to get to know a lot of local divers, the trip has over 50 people booked and hopefully we will make some new friends and dive buddies.

While breakfast and all the other things are included, ( same as Buddy Dive's normal package) hopefully they will have a reception or group meal or two during the week?

Oh well, live and learn.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

If you are not completely comfortable with the difference, then it is definitely worth asking the shop what is causing the difference. If approached carefully, the shop does not have to feel that you are questioning their integrity.

I feel that the price is too high considering what I paid on my last two trips (arranged by myself) but that is just my impression. I do not know how nice the rooms are or what else may be included. Food can add up if you are with a group because you tend to eat out more. If their package included all meals then that can count for something. Boat dives are useless in my opinion but do add cost. That can count for something.

---------------------------------------
EDIT

I should clarify since everybody after me is mentioning Bonaire Pros.......when I said I arranged my trips, my room/diving/truck was always booked through Andy at Bonaire Pros. +1 to say they are excellent.

Last edited:
Bonaire Pros put together a custom package for me that saved a few bucks over booking myself for our last trip. Give them a try, it costs nothing to check.

We went with a LDS on our first trip and their package included 7 boat dives and Nitrox at the shore diving price without Nitrox. So over pricing is not standard.

Bonaire Pros put together a custom package for me that saved a few bucks over booking myself for our last trip. Give them a try, it costs nothing to check.

Bonaire Pros is a great outfit. Unless I have been with a dive shop, I have used them every time I have been to Bonaire which is 8 or 9 times. Great website showing you lots of options.

the LDS prices the group trip at a rate that will sell for their local market. Yes there is a comp given to the LDs , for buddy dive its usually 7 paying gets 1 comp. Remember all reservations are done by lds and inital deposits are paid to resort by the lds even before they have 1 person on trip. Any issues that arise, with rooms/diving/personality conflicts,etc are settled by tour leader. You will find that there are usually perks given by the lds in the form of free or reduced cost for training dives and or rental gear. Lastly , the rate you put up as an example is actually $899. for a person staying in a 3 bedroom unit with 5 other people.Check out what it would cost you to book it yourself as a single (as much as $1876 without airfare) and you will see that the cost will exceed what the lds has it for.The lds will attempt to get you a room mate to lower costs involved,just as it will line up the 5 people that would share a 3 bedroom condo unit.If the lds cannot get you a room mate you will find it still will be less expensive than booking yourself as they can probably put you in your own bedroom with a private bathroom in a 2 or 3 bedroom unit that you share with other people in the group. I have a group there in May and have 19 people in the group. If a group of 6 got together and booked it themselves,yes they would get a better rate than what the lds charged. But they would not have gotten the extras I offer ,such as 1/2 off resort restaurant food, an extra 3 tank boat dive to the north side of the island,reduced fees on additional training..

Back
Top Bottom