Local IHOP Discriminates against US Armed Services Personnel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Local IHOP Discriminates against US Armed Services Personnel

My 18 Yr old son has talked about joining the military for a couple of years now. Being from a long line of Combat Vets I have been supportive in this. He ultimately made a choice to join the US Army reserves. This morning he left at 4:30 to complete processing at the MEPS station hear in Houston.

So you ask what this has got to do with IHOP and being discriminate well let me tell you. My son has been working for IHOP and had been working on Sunday till 12:00 Midnight. He called his Mrg to inform him that he would need to make arrangements to get off work a couple of hours early. This was so he can make an early morning time for his MEPS processing. This decision was made by his recruiter Saturday afternoon and was necessary to lock in a quickly fading slot for duty here in Houston. Once he informed his Mgr that he was joining and asked to get off early his Mgr then informed him he was fired. The reason his mgr gave was is that they needed people they could count on to be available to work and that his reserve commitment would interfere with work.

My son came to talk to me and the first thing he said was that his Mgr fired him because he joined the reserves. I asked him about this and if it was something else, maybe he misunderstood. I asked him “your Mrg fired you because you joined the Army” his replied was “Yes”. I asked again your Mrg told you he was firing you because you joining up” his replied again was “Yes he told me I was fired because I joined the Reserves”.

This upset me given my families long history of military service. I drove to my son’s employment and spoke to the Mrg. The Mgr claimed he wasn’t meeting his expectations. I asked just what expectations he wasn’t meeting. The Mrg replied “well he does work very well with customers but he just isn’t meeting my expectations”. I asked him for specifics and he just him hawed around and then said “well he hasn’t been working here very long and just wasn’t meeting expectations”. I asked again what he meant by “not meeting expectations” and asked for specifics. He refused to give any details or examples of how he wasn’t meeting expectations. My son didn’t have any complaints about his work prior to this and only after the phone call informing his Mgr about his status is when his performance became a problem. I asked for him (the Mgr) to provide me with the name of the store owner which he started to do but then refused to give me any contact info. I called back the next day to gather some info and they wouldn’t even give me the Mgr’s last name.

We have informed his recruiter on this and he will assist in filing a complaint against this store. I also plan on sending email to a couple of the TV News and Radio stations here in Houston. As a side note my Son did call Ch 11 here and they mentioned that this was not the first time they had heard of an issue like this at IHOP. I don’t know if any one will run a story but I at least will inform them. I also plan on contacting the Local VFW’s in the area. I would also ask that people support our troops by NOT EATING at your Local IHOP as well.

The National Guard and Reserves are there when our country calls on them. You may not support the current actions but don’t forget they also respond to times of National or State emergency such as during the 911 attack, the Shuttle disaster or after an area has been hit by some natural disaster such as flood or tornado. The least we can do is support them by providing the occasional time off they need to train or meet commitments.

Sure, he could probably file a USERRA complaint, but seriously its just a job at IHOP. I'm not sure how old your son is, but frankly I would have been offended if my parents had ever approached an employer. I would just let it go and move on to greener pastures.

chrpai,

Your right it is just a job at IHOP. He will move on and find another job. The problem is that he was discriminated against because he joined the military, it makes no differance where he was working or how much money he was being paid.

I confronted the Mgr not because he fired my son but because I AM A COMBAT VET and have served my country. My father spent two Tours in Viet Nam and retired after 20 yrs. Both of my Grandfathers served in the Navy. One in WWII and the other in WWI. I also have family that served in the Army Air corp and the Navy. To treat SVC Members this way is a disgrace and a slap in the face to all who have ever served whether it was a time of peace or war.

Once again I would ask people to show support by not dealing with any company that descriminates against our US Service Personnel.

You can bet that companies will be trying this type of thing more often. The fact of the matter is that companies are cutting their workforces down to bare bones to be more efficient. While I was diving this weekend it was discussed at S.I.'s that vacation policies have changed. Last minute schedule changes are more inconveinent for management and employees than they used to be.

If they are only paying the employee a minimum wage or a little better (but more importantly, benefits), it is far easier for them to cut them loose than have to bring in a replacement for a year while they are in Iraq or Afganistan and then have two employees instead of one when the reservist comes back. I am suprised that the manager told the guy WHY he fired him. Without a union, really only two words need be said and the story ends there. That was a dumb move on the manager's part.

Also, as Chrpai points out....
who is going to fight them about a minimum wage job. It will cost more in time and effort to fight it than to simply find a job with a more tolerant employer.

While I personally feel that the whole deal is awful for reservists, the practical side of me has to ask if I would want to work for such an intolerant employer anyways and make peanuts for "the privilege".

GeekDiver:
chrpai,

Your right it is just a job at IHOP. He will move on and find another job. The problem is that he was discriminated against because he joined the military, it makes no differance where he was working or how much money he was being paid.

I confronted the Mgr not because he fired my son but because I AM A COMBAT VET and have served my country. My father spent two Tours in Viet Nam and retired after 20 yrs. Both of my Grandfathers served in the Navy. One in WWII and the other in WWI. I also have family that served in the Army Air corp and the Navy. To treat SVC Members this way is a disgrace and a slap in the face to all who have ever served whether it was a time of peace or war.

Once again I would ask people to show support by not dealing with any company that descriminates against our US Service Personnel.

... my father who served in Southeast Asia and has several metal fragments in him to prove it. The last part is easily done. I haven't eaten at an IHOP in years anyways.

this is BS and that manager is a ****-head

chrpai:
Sure, he could probably file a USERRA complaint, but seriously its just a job at IHOP. I'm not sure how old your son is, but frankly I would have been offended if my parents had ever approached an employer. I would just let it go and move on to greener pastures.

A job is a job and you should be able to take pride in whatever it is that you do, flipping pancakes at IHOP included.

I agree it's BS, good luck GeekDiver.

Ben

All-

I am a former Veteran myself. That said, yes it is B.S., however there is a big difference between an I.T. project manager with 20 years tenure with a company making a 6 figure salary being called up for reserve duty that pays a fraction of his salary, wondering if he'll have a job when he comes back and a high school kid presumably making little over minimum wage with little time with the company. Sure you can argue the protection is the same, but seriously consider the effort / expense it will take to fight for such a meaningless job. And that doesn't mean the person doing the job is meaningless. Seriously, just move on to greener pastures. At that age there are so many greater things ahead of you and this is just one of lifes many "lessons". Besides, not to attack the son, but I know when I was at that age my parents only knew my side of the story, and it was rarely more then a small fraction of the complete truth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom