Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lately it's been Diego playing with the Pineapple juice band. He knows almost every classic rock song you can think of. He said he learned them from his Dad.
I really wish that there was less gringo music and more Mexican and reggae music being played in the clubs on Cozumel. If I wanted to feel at home I'd have stayed home.

I really wish that there was less gringo music and more Mexican and reggae music being played in the clubs on Cozumel. If I wanted to feel at home I'd have stayed home.
Wednesday night is salsa night at wet Wendy's
They had a seven piece band and a Latino singer.
No covers or bullshite pop tunes.

Wednesday night is salsa night at wet Wendy's
They had a seven piece band and a Latino singer.
No covers or bullshite pop tunes.
Of course there are such things happening, but music from the US and Great Britain, both recorded and imitated, is very prevalent in clubs and restaurants on the island. Personally, I wish it would all go away.

Of course there are such things happening, but music from the US and Great Britain, both recorded and imitated, is very prevalent in clubs and restaurants on the island. Personally, I wish it would all go away.
I would imagine they perform it for the people visiting the island because they like it and that is what they want

I, too, would prefer more music from the culture of the country I’m visiting. However, a concierge in Tulum explained it like this. 60+% of Mexican tourism is from the US, so a lot of what they try to do is aimed at that group. Don’t know how true that is, but that’s what he said.

... a concierge in Tulum explained it like this. 60+% of Mexican tourism is from the US, so a lot of what they try to do is aimed at that group.
I don't doubt that at all, but as a tourist from the US myself I would rather not be "aimed at" (read: repeatedly and continuously inundated at high volume) with Anglo music when I am on Cozumel. As I say (frequently), if I wanted to feel at home when I am on vacation I would have stayed at home.

I don't doubt that at all, but as a tourist from the US myself I would rather not be "aimed at" (read: repeatedly and continuously inundated at high volume) with Anglo music when I am on Cozumel. As I say (frequently), if I wanted to feel at home when I am on vacation I would have stayed at home.
I agree. Unfortunately, I believe we are outvoted by the wallets of the tourists who keep Hooters and Margaritaville listed in the top 5 restaurants in Cozumel on TripAdvisor. :stooges:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom