Location of Oasis under Table Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66

Contributor
Reaction score
Following the links I've posted you'll find a Plat Book from the 1930's for Taney County. In that book you'll see Oasis is located roughly 3 miles North of the southern most county line and .75 miles East of the western most county line. I think it's about here; N36° 32.403' W93° 18.040'
It's not that far from where it is now a days, but you can see that the roads have moved many miles away from where they used to be, and many cities have turned to dust in that area of MO making it harder to pinpoint.

The question is, besides the DTMag reference, has anybody else ever dove this city and if so do you have the lat/long for it? I considered an email to them to see if they have the lat/long for it, but haven't done so yet.

As I see it, if the depth is 100 feet there's not a lot of time for searching around, but maybe a depth finder might make it easier to locate so that there would be time to get there and tour main street.

http://digital.library.umsystem.edu...corig=platic;c=platic;viewid=PLA-TANEY-12.TIF

http://digital.library.umsystem.edu...=x-93;viewid=PLA-TANEY-02.TIF;start=1;resnum=

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/41793/cat/500/ppuser/44417

Revised, added lat/long and Picture of Map location today?

Great Job. Did you try cross referencing the plat maps with one of the Fishing Hotspots maps. The only thing that this might do is show you the exact creek channel for a more reliable reference. Just curios, you might have already done this. I would have tried this myself but, unfortunately, my map is in the boat at TR, and I really don't want to buy another one. Thanks for the info. Maybe next time were there we'll check it out. No harm in looking, aye. Brandon

P.S. I just looked this up on google earth and your makings put you right on top of a little island that is named Oasis Bluff. I know that in a previous post someone wrote to look for oasis bluff but didn't expand on where to go from there. If your not familiar with google earth, it is great. check it out at www.earth.google.com. You will have to download the program but it is free. I could, and have, spent hours just looking.

I'll have to do the google earth bit, my laptop that I normally use runs on ME and it's not compatible so it'll be a bit before I can load it up to test it out.

No, I didn't reference the plat map with the fishing hotspots maps, I basically measured the plat and then went to the delorme street atlas program and drew those lines in at the desired distance.

I guess it is pretty close to the bluff then, I tried to find it but nothing I had showed that name, now I guess we know where it's at. I did email the editor of DTMag and asked them if they had specifics, no reply yet. I'd like to see pics of it, heck, I think I'd like to dive it once the vis there improves.

I loaded it on my other machine and lo and behold my coordinates are pretty dang close to Oasis Bluff. I wish I had a topo from back then, sure would be nice to know what that bluff used to be, and where.

Wow... I am just amazed at Google Earth - did a cut n paste of the Lat/Long and it flew right to it.

Amazing.

What's buried there again?

D.

The old city of Oasis. Apparently they didn't remove it, just let the water come up and cover it. It's supposed to still be standing.

Hey Matthew,

I might just have to head up there in a few weeks (when work allows) and hook up with you to find this....

It'll make for some great dives.

When Scuba Sports gets their boat back into Table Rock lake I intend to see about getting a group together to find the city, I think it'd be a fun dive for us. I believe we've got it fairly close as to the probably location, and a boat with a depth finder might be able to actually locate the spot to anchor off to and let us go down a line to locate it.

The real issue is one of visibility and I'm not sure when TR turns over except that it's normally something this coming spring. I know this much, when I got into scuba diving I wanted to see a city or homes under water. This is a chance, but my limit is to see as I do not intend to penetrate an old rickity house under water. I'd love to have a metal detector to see what else is there, but that's another thread.

Back
Top Bottom