Lockout Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PM

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

After checking this board out for quite awhile, I was extremely impressed from the quality of questions and info that everyone is contributing. It is a truly informative and fun board.

As you can tell I'm new to the Scuba Board (and SCUBA for that matter) and on that note would like to ask everyone a question. I've recently found out about lockout diving and have been doing some research on it. I find it quite interesting and would like to try it some day. Now would anyone happen to know...

When and where was the first operational lockout submarine used?

I think it was in 1967 or 1968 using a submersible named "Deep Diver" but I can't back it up with any further research.

Any help is appreciated...

PM.

Dear PM:

Ed Link was indeed the first to make a “lock out submersible” as you indicated, and that was the Deep Diver . Link organized Ocean Systems, Inc. , a company devoted to the commercial development of a broad range of underwater services and support systems. (It was this company where Dr Deco started his research in diving in 1969.) Mr. Link joined with John Perry in the design and construction of "Deep Diver” which was the first submersible with an exit hatch for divers to use to work at great depths on the ocean floor.

Later, Ed Link designed a new submersible, the Johnson-Sea-Link, an improvement on the Deep Diver design. This lockout was constructed from aluminum alloy and acrylics.

An unfortunate accident with Johnson-Sea-Link in the early 1970s occurred when the submersible became entangled in the wreckage of an old destroyer off Florida's coast. Two divers, Albert Stover and the Link's son Clayton, died in the accident.

Other readers may be able to assist you with greater details. I have read that several commercial groups are planning to start operations with lock-outs at shallow depths for recreational divers.

Dr Deco

...wow, thanks for the information. A shallow lockout dive sounds like fun.

PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom