Lodging On Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MooreaMike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning on spending 6 +/- 2 weeks on Utila in April/May, working on certifications at Utila Dive Center. Any input on housing is VERY welcome. My basic requirements are simple: Hot running water, coffee maker, electricity to charge devices, ceiling or other fans, basic fridge, screening, fairly quiet area (ie not over or right next to a bar). Sharing a 2 broom or 3 broom would be fine, or even a 1 room/studio with one other person. No need for a "resort" setting. Do prefer my own bed. :shocked2:

Last edited:
Mike, once you get there you'll find you have a wealth of options as people are constantly coming and going. I saw plenty of "roommate wanted" signs and there is a couple, Mike and Jenni running an apartment finders service.

Rents for a basic one bedroom run about $300/month, I got a kickass one bedroom ( designer bed linens, full length window treatments:D, bug proof hot water AC yada yada) for $450.

Mike, I just came back from there. My daughter is at UDC.

Their 'residence' is at the Mango Inn. I was in a very nice "Deluxe Cabin" but they also have decent rooms and dorm accommodations

There are also a number of little apartments on the main drag that might be a better option for the longer run.

Barb at Mango is really helpful, and I wold suggest you book a few nights there until you get your bearings...

Here's a few pics I took last week to get you in the mood...

Attachments

• Pilot Friends small.jpg
    Pilot Friends small.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Whaleshark feeding small.jpg
    Whaleshark feeding small.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Foureye Butterflyfish small.jpg
    Foureye Butterflyfish small.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Polyps small.jpg
    Polyps small.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Thanks so much! Those photos get me in the mood. Working at a ski resort in Northern Michigan riight now and we lost alot of snow in the past 2 days melt down. Soo, cold again, snow not good, windy, and ready for some tropical diving!!! Thanks for the increase in comfort level with finding a place. I may act the part of a ski/dive bum, but I still like some semblance of a plan and comfort. Guess being over 50 has something to do with it.:wink:

Have you found a place yet? Mango Inn IS very nice. They have all sorts of accommodations, too--everything from single rooms with shared bathrooms to private cabins. The deluxe rooms have water coolers, tvs, electrical outlets, hot water, and air conditioning. The pool is generally quiet (when classes aren't being held there). UDC students always get a discount, too!

Also, though I have not seen them myself, Captain Anthony from UDC owns apartments that he rents out. I've heard good things.

As you will soon see, there are many accommodations for every budget/comfort level.

Good luck! Let us know who you go with!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom