log book checks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just got back from a trip to fla. I have not kept a log book in years, and having just started traveling and diving where i am not known, I have yet to be asked to produce one.
The most prevalant protocol is sign my waiver, let me see your c card. Has anyone been asked to produce thier log book? Has anyone been denied a dive based on thier c card?
Just curious what other peoples experiances have been, good and bad.
Eric

I have only been asked to sign a waiver and show my cert card...no log books...
I don't really log my dives nor do I get my "buddy" to sign when I do...hope this isn't an issue when I do some more extensive travel.
K

Over 2,000 dives all over the world all sorts of conditions, never been asked to show a dive log. Some areas the DM/Inst/Capt have asked about my experance. I think a lot of the interview ends when I would mention that my training and a lot of my diving has been in the North Atlantic. I think if I were warm, water trained and wanting to dive in cold water it might (should) be different.

Some places (like AKR in Roatan) ask divers to jump in a the dock, remove their reg and flood their mask before they take them out. I don't rmember a log book check, however.

Never. I'm often not even asked for my c-card.

I haven't, but last December I was going out on a boat in Grand Cayman. A guy with us had had his wallet stolen and his C-card was in it. He was asked to show his dive log. We had to have dove at least 24 dives before in order to take these dives. The dive master told him that since all his dives hadn't been signed off by a dive master they couldn't be sure they were valid dives and they did NOT let him dive. (Weird, I know.) Other than that I've never know of anytime a log book actually had to be shown.

I've never been asked to show my log book, just my c-card. I don't think a dive op should necessarily require it either because it's easy enough to falsify, in fact I've seen people do it. Just my 2 psi.

The few times I've been asked for my log book, they've had blank forms to fill out in case someone didn't have a log. Now that is silly.

jdarnall2001:
I haven't, but last December I was going out on a boat in Grand Cayman. A guy with us had had his wallet stolen and his C-card was in it. He was asked to show his dive log. We had to have dove at least 24 dives before in order to take these dives. The dive master told him that since all his dives hadn't been signed off by a dive master they couldn't be sure they were valid dives and they did NOT let him dive. (Weird, I know.) Other than that I've never know of anytime a log book actually had to be shown.
I haven't been to Grand Cayman, but from what I read they seem to have this Australian style (of late) paternalism that really annoys me.

I've been asked for it in Africa and Israel. They also "stamped" the logbooks but didn't seem concerned about stamps when they saw we were American. One trip I had several divers who didn't have a logbook with them or lost it years ago. After a talk on experience and last time they were diving one was required to have a refresher and two were let dive without one. The guy they required to refresh hadn't been diving in years and only had 11 dives total. He was happy to have the refresh.

I think it was originally intended to screen for trouble but can be over zealous sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom