Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not so fast, Cristi and Walter. I've been diving with scuba closer to 40 years, and have been certified since 1972. I've done many hundreds of dives, probably more than 1000 if you count shallow inlet dives. Slightly more than 100 were "logged dives". The profile questionaire does not mention unlogged dives.

I hope Walter has learned that there is more to statistics than adding and dividing, and that word problems can be tricky.

In any case, I detest the term "newbie". What's wrong with standard English? "Beginner", or "new diver" would work. I've never been called a newbie, but I remember that back in the early 70s there was a push to certify divers who had learned informally, and had been diving for a long time. The term used by the certifying agencies was "mossback divers".The shops were adopting a policy about then to fill tanks only for people with a C card.

agilis:
Not so fast, Cristi and Walter. I've been diving with scuba closer to 40 years, and have been certified since 1972. I've done many hundreds of dives, probably more than 1000 if you count shallow inlet dives. Slightly more than 100 were "logged dives". The profile questionaire does not mention unlogged dives.

I hope Walter has learned that there is more to statistics than adding and dividing, and that word problems can be tricky.

In any case, I detest the term "newbie". What's wrong with standard English? "Beginner", or "new diver" would work. I've never been called a newbie, but I remember that back in the early 70s there was a push to certify divers who had learned informally, and had been diving for a long time. The term used by the certifying agencies was "mossback divers".The shops were adopting a policy about then to fill tanks only for people with a C card.

How's the view up there on that high horse?

wow, Christy. I don't see him acting that way at all.

I think he is a little bugged because he has 40 years and you are calling him a newbie.

log books are a pretty bad way to record things like weighting and dive site notes. if you want to record weighting notes, keep a set of notes on your weighting. if you want to keep notes on dive sites, keep them organized by dive site.

catherine96821:
wow, Christy. I don't see him acting that way at all. You, on the other hand, might need an estrogen patch.

I think he is a little bugged because he has 40 years and you are calling him a newbie.

Read all of his posts again and then read mine again...I didn't call him a newbie...I said by some peoples standards he would be considered one.

lamont:
log books are a pretty bad way to record things like weighting and dive site notes. if you want to record weighting notes, keep a set of notes on your weighting. if you want to keep notes on dive sites, keep them organized by dive site.

Actually, the system I use works well for me. What works well for you works well for you.

Chantal, I don't log at all. will you still be my friend?

catherine96821:
Chantal, I don't log at all. will you still be my friend?

Of course!:D

I don't care if others don't log their dives, I just don't want anybody telling me it's a waste of time. Like I said, earlier, I don't yet have 100 dives--maybe I'll get tired of it and stop. Right now, though, especially when I'm not diving a lot, I enjoy it. It hasn't become work, yet.

you know, people fight more about logging dives than many other things you would think would be more upsetting. I would like to get my son's baby book done first before I worry too much about the scuba cops counting my dives. I guess it is really serious stuff how many dives are recorded. People these days asking me for my signature, like they need a witness. sigh.
People ON HERE talking about you wasting your time?...do you not ever step back and laugh? I have wasted my entire day on here. But...tomorrow I shall stalk the ever-elusive Hawaiian Monk Seal....

why do I have an edit button and no one else does??? (because I NEED one?)

Back
Top Bottom