Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever considered that perhaps you are not selecting the right operators if this keeps happening to you?

As experienced as you are, and as put out as you are by diving with
agilis:
“these log book toting self-righteous scuba Taliban ."
I would think that you would be well aware of and seek out the operations that cater to smaller and more advanced groups…they certainly exist.

A good operation will match divers abilities and/or increase the DM ratio if there is a boat full of "newbies" to allow the truly experienced divers to enjoy their dives.

I personally love diving with new divers, but I also completely understand people being on vacation and wanting to enjoy their dives rather than being held back by inexperienced or nervous divers. That’s what we (the DM’s and Instructors) are there for…to help them stay safe and improve their diving in the process.

I changed my 1000 + to zero today since I don't want my good buddy Walter to accuse me of fibbing. I kind of like the fresh "young" look of zero... Now, if I can figure out how to take the DM shingle down...I will be liberated from the Wahaabi oppresors. Labels are like scuba-burkas.

catherine96821:
I changed my 1000 + to zero today since I don't want my good buddy Walter to accuse me of fibbing. I kind of like the fresh "young" look of zero... Now, if I can figure out how to take the DM shingle down...I will be liberated from the Wahaabi oppresors. Labels are like scuba-burkas.

Ya know, I considered diving with you, but since you don't log your dives, I just can't bring myself to do it!!:lol: :lol:

Oh no! She is at zero. Now I have to babysit. And it was so nice diving with someone I didn't have to worry about all the time.....

you shoulda been worried, I almost couldn't pull myself down in that current. I am constantly amazed at my upper body weakness compared to others. That old "Garth" had no problems. And launching off UNDER the boat? I was skeeeered.

Actually, the "Taliban" remark was overstated and excessive, if I gave the impression that the logbook question was a frequent issue . In truth, the number of times I've run into this sort of problem is relatively small. When it did happen, it was usually a fellow paying passenger who became difficult when I expressed amusement about a request to see my log. I have had a couple of unpleasant experiences with commercial operations, all of them in Florida. Some dive operations make it abundantly clear that they not only require you to present a dive log, but also specify the kind of log, the format, the nature of the entry, etc. You'd think they were paying you instead of the other way round. Such people are best avoided, in connection with diving, and with life in general.
Christi, I am in complete accord with your first post. So people do, and some do not. It's no big deal until someone makes it one.

agilis:
Actually, the "Taliban" remark was overstated and excessive, if I gave the impression that the logbook question was a frequent issue . In truth, the numer of times I've run into this sort of problem is relatively small. When it did happen, it was usually a fellow paying passenger who became difficult when I expressed amusement about a request to see my log. I have had a couple of unpleasant experiences with commercial operations, all of them in Florida. Some dive operations make it abundantly clear that they not only require you to present a dive log, but also specify the kind of log, the format, the nature of the entry, etc. You'd think they were paying you instead of the other way round. Such people are best avoided, in connection with diving, and with life in general.
Christi, I am in complete accord with your first post. So people do, and some do not. It's no big deal until someone makes it one.

I wasn't aware that some dive op's could be so rigid. Thanks for the heads-up, I like to dive in Florida (sure beats Oregon for water temp, viz, etc.).

I have never been asked for a log book, ever. Made it to OWSI and no one has ever asked. Usual questions to insure Im not going to kill my self but no requests for a log book. Good thing too as I have never entered a dive since OW. Some people are anal about things like that, and more power to them but Im not one of them. Besides, number of dives has little to do with ability, witness the flabby north american reef flounder who claims 25 years of dive time I was with yesterday. I can't tell you how many times that idiot came crashing down on me or tried his best to knock my mask off with his flailing hands.
I learned long ago that there are many people out there with there hand out for my money. If they don't offer what I want Im more than happy to go elsewhere. If someone wants to be log book taliban, I'll just go next door.

We never did settle up yesterday Cath, I forgot about lunch. I'll buy next time.

Actually, for me, this is a great post. I haven't logged a dive in my log book since I got to Guam. I dive about 6-8 times a week, and the closest I have gotten to making an entry in my logbook is pulling my C-card out of it so I could get my tanks filled. Strangely enough, I have never even been asked to prove that I'm certified on a boat here.

Unfortunately, I'm headed back to the US mainland and all the lawyers and litigidous (sp?) people that come with it, and I'm wondering if I need to print all my dives and stick them in a book. No buddy sigs, no weight entry, just standard computer logs (time, date, depth chart, Nitrogen loading, gas type, etc). I don't know what I'm going to do if someone asks me for a log. I'm sure it'll be either a soft chuckle, or a shrug.

Worst case, I guess I'll have my wife sign all the sheets and put them in a binder.

Logging is a personal preference, and I prefer not to do it. I don't care to reminisce, and if I do, I have pictures. My certifications and my competency alone should determine whether I can dive or not. If someone tells me I can't dive because my log book isn't big enough, or I have to pay extra to dive with (another) DM, then I guess I've saved some money...

Dave

I used to keep a log book but I am lazy and would rather spend my time planing the next dive.Two thirds of the planet is covered with water and I am doing my best to explore it all.If a dive operator is not satisfied with my stack of c-cards I am sure the one down the road is not so demanding.remember who the customer is .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom